Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is child support included in ss calculations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is child support included in ss calculations?

I receive child support from my previous husband for my 3 kids.
    Does this amount get added ontop of my income when calculating
    Spousal Support from my new husband of 5 years (well soon to be ex)

Also, since there are children involved would it be until the youngest finishes highschool?

Are you working? Planning on working? full time? part time?

You have to contribute to your own situation. You have to prove you are entitled to Spousal support, it's not an automatic thing.

AT BEST (assuming you could prove your career/etc suffered from the marriage) you are looking at 2.5-5 years of spousal support....more likely 2.5 given the short duration of the marriage.

Typically child support IS factored into your income, but given they aren't his kids, your best bet is to speak to a lawyer.

Comment

So, does the length of the relationship, mine being 14 years, play a factor in determining the length of time SS will be paid??

Comment

Originally posted by Chrysalis68 View Post
        Does this amount get added ontop of my income when calculating

Also, since there are children involved would it be until the youngest finishes highschool?
        I see a career pattern here lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chrysalis68 View Post

I see a patten here... I would suggest not getting married again or if you are simply looking for an easy meal ticket, keep getting married and divorced. If you do that enough then you can get all the spousal support you need to never work a day in your life.

Cheers and good luck in your future divorces...

Comment

In the Toronto Sun there's a syndicated column, "Ask Amy". One of todays letters was a woman who couldn't get a date. Her final lines included:
            Should I just say to heck with it and focus all of my energy on making a real career for myself?
            I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Comment

Reading through this thread illustrates PERFECTLY why the accusation keeps surfacing that this forum is hostile to women.

You lot made some pretty heavy assumptions about this woman based on a very brief email... she asked a simple question, and NOTHING in her email indicated that she was asking for your opinions regarding her life choices, about which you have VERY LITTLE information.

Pretty much any woman who expresses entitlement to SS on this forum is met with derision and scorn, and any woman who expresses frustration because she has to PAY SS gets gleefully told to suck it up because men have been getting screwed for years.

The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled extends beyond men getting access to their kids.

Lawful entitlement is what it is, and like it or not, that extends to SS.

Comment

Originally posted by canadamama View Post
                The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled extends beyond men getting access to their kids.
                I said that completely wrong! I got interrupted mid-sentence and ended up merging two ideas. What I MEANT to say was this:

"The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled is unfair and unproductive. Lawful entitlement extends beyond men getting access to their kids."

Comment

The husband she herself described as "new", the marriage is short, 5 years and she is asking if she can get SS until the youngest child, who is being supported by the bio father, is out of high school. This is more than a bit beyond "lawful entitlement".

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                    The husband she herself described as "new", the marriage is short, 5 years and she is asking if she can get SS until the youngest child, who is being supported by the bio father, is out of high school. This is more than a bit beyond "lawful entitlement".
                    The impression I got was that she used the word 'new' to differentiate from the first husband - she could just as easily said 'current' or some other word.

And yes, "lawful entitlement" is EXACTLY what she is asking about. Her question was, "Is child support from a previous relationship counted as income when calculating spousal support from a subsequent marriage?" It's a simple question, and simply answering it would have been much more respectful (and legitimately informative) than the judgmental attacks she received.

She never actually got a straight answer in this thread - all she got were attacks on her character, which is absolutely typical of this forum.

This is my point - time after time I see women coming on here asking about their entitlement to SS, only to be told to stop freeloading and get a job. These questions are perfectly legitimate for a forum such as this, but asking them here invites attack and derision, time after time.

Comment

You should stop freeloading and get a job.

Comment

Originally posted by canadamama View Post
                        This is my point - time after time I see women coming on here asking about their entitlement to SS, only to be told to stop freeloading and get a job. These questions are perfectly legitimate for a forum such as this, but asking them here invites attack and derision, time after time.
                        There's a river in Russia, it's called the Crimea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                          You should stop freeloading and get a job.
                          ??? To whom is this addressed? To me? To the OP? WTH, Mess???

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                            There's a river in Russia, it's called the Crimea.
                            What does this even mean? (OK I mean beyond the Cry Me A River reference)

It certainly doesn't address my point at all. Are you saying that it is 'whiny' to ask that unnecessary personal attacks stop being par for the course on this forum? I can't really see any other interpretation... What IS this?

Are you saying that women seeking SS should not EXPECT to find respectful and informative responses on this forum?? That personal attacks are just fine in threads involving SS?

How can you possibly expect to be taken seriously? I don't think anyone can argue at this point, having read this thread, that this is NOT a site that leans heavily towards supporting men and vilifying women. There may be a few women here who toe the party line and therefore avoid attack, but clearly, any woman who comes here seeking information about her SS entitlement (which is a perfectly legitimate line of inquiry in a forum such as this), can expect nothing but nasty comments and attacks on her character.

Comment

Wow!! Don't you guys think that I am hurting more than enough??

Thank-you to CANADAMAM for understanding and trying to explain to these insensitive people.

I am hurting beyond believe. Maybe you guys should think before throwing out assumptions.

My children and I have been very emotionally abused.

As far as financially, I am the one that supported my husband completely (for 2 years before getting married) with a roof over his head and and everything that a house has to offer without one penny from him so that he could pay for his 30 year old's rent even though he made more money than me (I had 3 kids as well to support)
                              We bought a house where I was the one that put the huge deposit on it and had of course all the furnishings and appliances etc.

We have been together for a total of 7 years.

DON'T WORRY I AM TOTALLY RETIRED TO EVER BEING WITH ANYONE. I GAVE MY TOTAL HEART AND SOUL.

I just want to be able to survive the next few years. If any of you knew just half the pain that my children and I have endured, you would understand that at the least I need to be able to promise them that they will have a safe home to live in.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X