X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGGH - the FRO

Quick synopsis:

First motion heard and "spousal support" ordered. Second motion, quickly thereafter at which time children ordered back into my care - NO spousal support but child support ordered.

Sooooo, I get a "hot under the collar" email from the ex. screaming hell because they are going to garnishee his wages from his employer for the spousal support - he did in fact make the required payments. I did not ever receive anything from the FRO to date and have been patiently waiting for the papers, but only for the child support.

So, who do I contact at the FRO about this? Do I need to have the court file #? Is there a number on the paper he received that I can refer to to get this garnishment stopped? Trust me, should the FRO garnish his wages for this "spousal" amount he is gonna be some angry and I can hardly blame him! He made the required payments faithfully! But I would be afraid to sign a release form because then I am afraid they would take that and apply it to the latest court order and I DO want child support to come from the FRO (you see, Canada Post losses cheques/ he ran out of cheques/employer deposited funds into the wrong bank account yada yada yada). I would rather have the garnishment to avoid having to call each month to find out if/when he is sending payment. He will pay, but on his terms only. Refuses to give postdated cheques so this seems to be by recourse to avoid conflict. But in NO WAY do I want him to have to suffer the nighmare circumstances I have read that others have had to face.

So, is there a way this order, the first one, be cancelled fast (first garnishment Nov. 01) and are there other ways people have been able to do this amicably without having to resort to the FRO? Any suggestions to give the ex?

The FRO is going off of the court orders that have been sent to them.

If your Order from November for spousal support has not been recinded, they will continue to guarnish his wages, until they receive an Order which specifically tells them otherwise.

You can call them, but unless you have said Order, they wont do anything.

If he paid you directly, instead of gong through FRO like he was supposed to, then he will be forced to pay an additional $100 administration fee, and it could take MONTHS for them to get it straightened out.

All you can really do is give him a cheque for the funds once they are deposited into your bank account.

Do not sign any release forms, as they could screw it up and stop all payments, including yoru child support, and then it would take additional MONTHS to get that back.

Comment

Just who runs the FRO? My daughters gr. 2 class? If I am reading that right he will be fined an administration fee for paying me? That's hardly fair! This court order was 4 months ago! Are fathers, who are ordered by the courts to pay, than punished for following said court order? No wonder there are payors out there reluctant to pay!

Furthermore, I find it astounding that it states the monies will be deducted on November 01. Fine and dandy. As I said before, I have received absolutely NOTHING from the FRO with regards to either court motion. It would stand to reason that if they are going to garnishee his wages they should have a place to put the funds is. my bank account, not theirs. They don't have any bank info from me - they haven't sent me anything! So they get to hold his money, collecting interest on it and PERHAPS they might send me some paperwork some day with regards to a direct deposit?

Sheesh, no wonder the FRO is bashed on these boards. I have "issues" with other ways in which our tax dollars are put to use, but this agency seems to take top prize. And yet you hear nothing/read nothing about its effacy aside from these "personal rants"? I seem to recall a journalist asking about "valuation dates" and how it affects a divorce. Instead of doing research on that she should be researching these nightmare stories about the FRO and put them in the hot seat. It is high time they are held accountable for their actions. Surely in this day and age of computer technology it need not take this much time to enforce a court order, it need not take months to rescind a court order AND definitely a person should NOT be financially punished for the agencies inability to fine tune their system. Off my pedestal now.

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three View Post
        Just who runs the FRO? My daughters gr. 2 class? If I am reading that right he will be fined an administration fee for paying me? That's hardly fair!
        Yup, if he paid you anything directly.....

Fees for payors
        • $100 for each adjustment that the FRO makes to the payor's account when the payor provides direct payments to the recipient or children, instead of to the FRO.
        source: www.thefro.ca

This court order was 4 months ago! Are fathers, who are ordered by the courts to pay, than punished for following said court order? No wonder there are payors out there reluctant to pay!

Furthermore, I find it astounding that it states the monies will be deducted on November 01. Fine and dandy. As I said before, I have received absolutely NOTHING from the FRO with regards to either court motion.
        If the court order is dated that money is to be deducted on November 1st, then it is not surprising that your ex would receive a letter notifying him of the garnishment.

It would stand to reason that if they are going to garnishee his wages they should have a place to put the funds is. my bank account, not theirs. They don't have any bank info from me - they haven't sent me anything! So they get to hold his money, collecting interest on it and PERHAPS they might send me some paperwork some day with regards to a direct deposit?
        You need them to send you their registration package.
        If the FRO has sent a letter to your ex, it probably has your "case number" on the letter. You need that number when you call FRO.

I'd call them to make sure that they have your correct contact/mailing information.

Sheesh, no wonder the FRO is bashed on these boards. I have "issues" with other ways in which our tax dollars are put to use, but this agency seems to take top prize. And yet you hear nothing/read nothing about its effacy aside from these "personal rants"? I seem to recall a journalist asking about "valuation dates" and how it affects a divorce. Instead of doing research on that she should be researching these nightmare stories about the FRO and put them in the hot seat. It is high time they are held accountable for their actions. Surely in this day and age of computer technology it need not take this much time to enforce a court order, it need not take months to rescind a court order AND definitely a person should NOT be financially punished for the agencies inability to fine tune their system. Off my pedestal now.
        I think we'd all agree that the FRO has some serious pitfalls when dealing with either the payor or the receipients' issues.

You would think that they would have the proper documentation sent to you within 48 hours of receiving the Court Order from your Lawyers.

I wonder if you haven't received anything because it isn't November yet???

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X