Post Secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
    Pre-separation RESP's would come off the top.
    The agreement said "grants, scholarship and OSAP" comes first, then RESP, then parents.
    I did pay 100% from RESP, as both ex and child didn't tell there were grants. I guess what I am afraid, is RESP will run out in about a year, and then child will claim "grants are also gone", or will simply decline to disclose them

Comment

The agreement would not be enforced.

So in about a year, when the child's RESP runs out, they will be forced to rely on their full OSAP loan unless they start disclosing financials. You haven't spent any money yet; seems like a lot of stress for a couple hundred dollars you'll recover once asked to pay...

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
        The agreement would not be enforced.

So in about a year, when the child's RESP runs out, they will be forced to rely on their full OSAP loan unless they start disclosing financials. You haven't spent any money yet; seems like a lot of stress for a couple hundred dollars you'll recover once asked to pay...
        it is more than couple hundred dollars. From the current term I accidentally discovered, grant was covering almost 50% of tuition - pleasant surprise from the government. I can only assume what was in other years, but if it was comparable amount of grants, had child used it on school and not on something else, the grants plus RESP would've be sufficient to graduate without asking parents for money and without taking OSAP loans. And without going to courts and arguing about it.

Comment

The court would look to your agreement and then the law. So if your agreement says grants and scholarships then OSAP then the RESP then parents it would be the 1/3 split approach. If you paid the full tuition bill for the first term then the agreement and the law have both not been followed.

Your first step is to reach out to your ex via email…

Dear ex,

There seems to be an issue with provision of statements of account and receipts and payment of school expenses. (Kid) is not a signatory to our agreement and therefore I expect you to be providing full details.

As such, until I receive full disclosure of the statement of accounts from the school and OSAP, I will not be providing any further payment of school expenses. Once I receive these documents, we will be able to calculate the accurate amounts owing by all three parties.

Thank you

They will probably panic and bitch and stomp and yell and the ex will make kid contact you. Until you get the printed/digital copies, you ignore them.

My husband went through this. It took him two months of staying strong and calls and emails from his ex and kid. They both kept saying they don't have any copies and kid didn't know how to get their account details etc. Turns out, kid got $2000 more in grant funds AND expenses were almost $4,000 cheaper than they were claiming.

Their failure to provide full disclosure does not constitute a crisis on your part. If the tuition is owed immediately then they should have provided everything up front. They've had three months.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X