No announcement yet.

Looking for accountant recommendations re: capital gains and second property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for accountant recommendations re: capital gains and second property

Hello everyone!
    Can anyone recommend an accountant who can help me navigate the rules regarding capital gains on a second property?
    My ex and I co-own a house (the principal residence) in Ottawa and a cottage. She wants to keep the house as her principal residence and I am thinking of making the cottage my principal residence.
    From what I've seen, I'll be responsible for the capital gains on the cottage from the time we first bought it until I make it my principal residence, when I go to sell it.
    If I keep part ownership on the house in Ottawa, then I might have to pay capital gains on it later, for the time that it isn't my principal residence. That and other questions, I want to make sure that I'm structuring things properly.

A real estate lawyer may be able to help too.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      A real estate lawyer may be able to help too.
      Do you have any recommendations?

Comment

Nope but if you go here: https://www.lawyerratingz.com/m/

And type in your city and practice area, you can look through and find one you think will help.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X