Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UBER - operated at a loss - Gross or net for child support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBER - operated at a loss - Gross or net for child support?

Hello,
    I used to be an uber driver part time. On my way to my full time job every morning I would catch some fares hoping to make a few extra bucks to offset gas and parking costs. If there was anything extra, great.
    It shouldn't come as a surprise that at the end of the year, it turns out I was operating that "business" at a loss. My question is, for child support payments, should I include my uber/business gross income (excluding HST/GST), or my net income after all expenses?
    Thank you.

It appears that Uber is something many support payers have taken up to earn some extra cash but then subtract a number of expenses to show a loss. A quick search of canlii shows judges taking the amount after vehicle maintenance and gas costs but some cases they take the gross amount. Plus uber takes 25% off the top.

I would put in the amount after vehicle maintenance and gas costs but ONLY the costs for the time you worked. For instance if you drove uber 25% of the total time driving you would calculate 25% of your total annual costs to subtract. Not to mention if you were dropping people off ON YOUR WAY to work then it could be questioned how much is uber costs and how much is normal transportation.

In other words, what you subtract for tax purposes is not necessarily eligible for child support purposes.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X