Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying on 13.1

Hi thx to everyone reading my posts or simply putting up with them

The child side is moving and now it’s financial time that was on back burner

And I appreciate the cheaper advice here.

The ex has lied on 2 form 13.1 in the “today” column.

The stuff for nfp whatever…but she doesn’t lists bank accounts that she currently has. Ie the kids would point to different banks they went into.

My question is, any real consequences to this? Or is it only if we find stuff?

She claims to be destitute and owe cra 41k but has received 460k..but where is it??

Just because the kids say it doesnt make it true. Not to mention you would have to prove she has accounts in these places. If she says no, how do you dispute a no? Do you have proof other than your kids that she may have accounts? Proof she was working?

I also dont understand why you are fixated on what she owes CRA. If the equalization is in trust and would come to you if owed, there is little concern with that. If she was earning money under the table and you want to know for support calculations then again you would have to argue you have proof she is lying. Otherwise, any money from sources other than income or debts she has are somewhat irrelevant. You are losing focus on the important stuff.

I know you said you are worried about your kids but if she cant care for them they would come to you. If you are then worried she cant pay support then what is important? Your kids well being or getting support?

Comment

The question is about lying on form 13.1
      It is not about what someone else wants it to be about.

My question is, any real consequences to this? Or is it only if we find stuff?
      I really want to know as well given lying seems to be a winning court tactic and not all accounts show up on tax assessments.

Please add on how does one validate the data?

Comment

Tax returns are a large source of information when it comes to income and assets. Outside of that, a forensic accountant would be able to validate the info. That being said, unless there is a business involved or high net worth, it's typically not a good use of financial resources in a standard divorce case.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
          Tax returns are a large source of information when it comes to income and assets. Outside of that, a forensic accountant would be able to validate the info. That being said, unless there is a business involved or high net worth, it's typically not a good use of financial resources in a standard divorce case.
          Lawyers are often not good use of financial resources. It would be so clean to say we want a financial audit to ensure all financial documents are released for the regular john/jane doe. Maybe that is $1K to $2K?

Only when interest is earned does something show up on a tax return. There are many accounts that do not have interest and so would not show up on a tax return. I have a couple that have zero interest. When I first filed out the 13.1 one of those accounts had $60K in them. So is this in credit bureau checks?

My ex has no issue with perjury so why not tell a lie if they bank 50K from it. I know they hid money because they lied about it during the marriage.

Is there any real consequence to lying on the 13.1?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post

Is there any real consequence to lying on the 13.1?
            If it does go to trial, you can cross examine them about their testimony and whip up the 13.1s and ask them if they are as sure about their testimony as they were when they swore their 13.1 statements.

"Mr. XXX, where is your Scotiabank account ending in 1234 on your 13.1 statement dated Dec 1, 2020? I see here you that you swore to the accuracy of this statement - were you mistaken there? You swore to tell the truth now in this courtroom - are you mistaken again here?" Then pull out the next 13.1 with the lies on it, rinse and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by DHTO View Post
              If it does go to trial, you can cross examine them about their testimony and whip up the 13.1s and ask them if they are as sure about their testimony as they were when they swore their 13.1 statements.

"Mr. XXX, where is your Scotiabank account ending in 1234 on your 13.1 statement dated Dec 1, 2020? I see here you that you swore to the accuracy of this statement - were you mistaken there? You swore to tell the truth now in this courtroom - are you mistaken again here?" Then pull out the next 13.1 with the lies on it, rinse and repeat.

How do you prove it though? How would someone know if their ex had opened up new or additional bank accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                Not to mention you would have to prove she has accounts in these places. If she says no, how do you dispute a no?
                How do you prove it though? How would someone know if their ex had opened up new or additional bank accounts?
                Credit report, bank statements, liens against property, etc. Lots of options.

I think you're misguided on how disclosure works. Your financial statement is the baseline - not be all end all. If more info is needed to get the full picture, it will be ordered.

Sworn documents will be used at motion or trial. Probably not the perjury you're hoping for, but will affect credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                  Credit report, bank statements, liens against property, etc. Lots of options.

I think you're misguided on how disclosure works. Your financial statement is the baseline - not be all end all. If more info is needed to get the full picture, it will be ordered.

Sworn documents will be used at motion or trial. Probably not the perjury you're hoping for, but will affect credibility.

Privacy laws prevent people from gaining certain information. Yes you can do a title search and see if there are liens against a property but that might be all.

Credit checks, mortgages, bank statements all require an order for disclosure if the other party isnt keen to just hand them over. That order for disclosure requires a motion and judges may not be so quick to have someone disclose private information if the person demanding it cant provide enough of an argument so show why it is required. If the party not wanting to disclose says they have no other information and their financial statement is full and complete, how do you call them a liar?

Comment

Good luck with the privacy laws when it comes to financial disclosure in family court!

We could go in circles all day. Your thinking that you need proof, or how to dispute a 'no', is misguided. Disclosure is unique for each case, with proportionality to it, but form 13 is the baseline for all cases. If more info is needed for a full financial picture, it is supposed to be provided without the need of an order. More info is usually requested with the original application for sure, but same is true for mtc's.

Comment

Good luck with the privacy laws when it comes to financial disclosure in family court!

We could go in circles all day. Your thinking that you need proof, or how to dispute a 'no', is misguided. Disclosure is unique for each case, with proportionality to it, but form 13 is the baseline for all cases. If more info is needed for a full financial picture, it is supposed to be provided without the need of an order. More info is usually requested with the original application for sure, but same is true for mtc's.

We could go in circles because you dispute everything I say. Yes the family law rules say full and frank disclosure but that isnt always the case. And yes you provide a form 13 which is used with income tax returns or paystubs. The problem is that some litigants think their ex is hiding money or lying when they are not. A quick scan of canlii shows cases where judges say to go to a motion for disclosure to argue for more than a financial statement. Then there are cases where people argue they should have gotten more disclosure and the judge answers it wasnt needed. It seems to be a crapshoot but my original statement still stands. If someone believes their ex is lying, they obviously have to make that claim and back it up. If a litigant thinks their ex is hiding money, how do they argue that to get disclosure.

Comment

Each case is unique which makes for different disclosure needs.

Obviously there are some who request unreasonable items, which can be ignored - but if you're taking an all or nothing approach, I'd side with the disclosure being ordered. Again, especially for original applications where a true picture is more needed.

https://www.canlii.org/en/commentary...RpMACNoUnYhISA

Have you bounced your ideas off your uncle?! Boss?!

Comment

Disclosure is usually provided on consent before court. If not, the proof-dispute 'no' disclosure you're looking for would be ordered at a conference or 14b motion. If denied, a regular motion could be brought which is more of a crapshoot.

The first time around, my ex was denied my medical records. The second time, she was granted full access to my disability lawyer's file. I thought "privacy laws", but judge still ordered it. It was also the reason the conference judge changed our imputed incomes in my favour and despite ex's pleas.

Comment

Disclosure is usually provided on consent before court. If not, the proof-dispute 'no' disclosure you're looking for would be ordered at a conference or 14b motion. If denied, a regular motion could be brought which is more of a crapshoot.

The first time around, my ex was denied my medical records. The second time, she was granted full access to my disability lawyer's file. I thought "privacy laws", but judge still ordered it. It was also the reason the conference judge changed our imputed incomes in my favour and despite ex's pleas.

Which is exactly what I have been sayingyou have to bring a motion to get additional disclosure and that would require the person to argue why they needed it.

In your case the judge felt your medical records were required.

In my examples which you hate, the ex requested disclosure at the conference and was told no. She then served a form 20 which was denied. She then filed a motion for disclosure which she lost. Why? Because my husband had provided all necessary disclosure. She claimed he worked under the table. Judge said unless she had proof of this, there was no indication it needed to be ordered.

Comment

Form 13 is your key to get in the court door. It's understood that most/all have each others full financial statement. That's the basic disclosure.

If you understand that more disclosure can be ordered at your cc, you understand that sometimes form 13 is not enough. Not all disclosure for all cases. Yes, your case denied it. Yes my case denied it, then ordered it 2nd time around. Disclosure is more than financial statements, and if the other side says 'no' - you have more options than saying "doh well".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X