Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopping support payments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stopping support payments

    Hi everyone,

    Can my ex stop paying me the voluntary amounts of support he is currently paying? My ex had his lawyer inform me he will only pay for expenses that still have his name on it but will not be transferring me any cash payments for other expenses unless I provide financial disclosure and a signed separation agreement.

  • #2
    If there is no order for spousal then yes he can. He is still paying the various expenses which were covered in his voluntary payments which is something he may be ordered to do. As for spousal, you may have reached your entitlement.

    Its been months, send the bloody financial disclosure. You are being unreasonable!

    Comment


    • #3
      he can do it and I am surprised he never did it earlier.


      Like rockscan said, you are being and have been unreasonable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Since there is no agreement it's considered child support (which is less than what I should be getting based on dummy calculations). He would be stopping the child support cash payments which would make him look bad. I would be able to retroactively get this money back in front of a judge wouldn't I?

        Comment


        • #5
          I can't have a worry that this all will blow up in your face, I get the sense that pieces of the story are omitted from your posts because they do not quite add up.

          Your best bet, do financial disclosure and have lawyer work on the issue. Do not be focused on what will make him look bad when not providing disclosure is just as bad. The voluntary payments vs what SS/CS would be is tricky and may need a bigger analysis. Just get on the motions/resolutions/mediation right away and do not be unreasonable in your expectations

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
            Since there is no agreement it's considered child support (which is less than what I should be getting based on dummy calculations). He would be stopping the child support cash payments which would make him look bad. I would be able to retroactively get this money back in front of a judge wouldn't I?

            I doubt its child support and if you have offset then he is probably basing it off of what you were making since he HAS NO FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE FROM YOU to update it.

            So no, if he is paying what he owes in an offset situation based on the only income he has verified. If you want your income changed you have to a) provide disclosure and b) provide an argument as to why you shouldnt have $150k imputed to you.

            Hes paying the bills that would be pid by his support and since you dont have an agreement, he can simply say he paid directly as he wasnt sure of what your income was or what expenses you were paying.

            Stop dragging this out. You may now be running the risk of losing more than your home.

            Comment


            • #7
              True Blue you need someone that is not a lawyer handle your legal stuff with your lawyer to give you a better sense of reason.

              Just saying.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                True Blue you need someone that is not a lawyer handle your legal stuff with your lawyer to give you a better sense of reason.

                Just saying.

                No she needs to pull her head out of her ass and stop making bone head decisions like withholding financial disclosure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                  No she needs to pull her head out of her ass and stop making bone head decisions like withholding financial disclosure.

                  What ever obvious things like she should be disclosing....

                  Do you really think she is going going to change for your words.
                  She clearly isn't thinking clearly and needs a guide,. Not giving her an excuse, she has to own up to what she did, beg forgiveness and get her stuff over so she can move on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    She has a guide, its her lawyer. Considering she has spent $75,000 and still refuses to provide financial disclosure, a guide isnt going to do anything.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      She has a guide, it�s her lawyer. Considering she has spent $75,000 and still refuses to provide financial disclosure, a �guide� isn�t going to do anything.
                      Wow, you never heard of a lawyer controlling their client or being unscrupulous and dragging things out?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                        Wow, you never heard of a lawyer controlling their client or being unscrupulous and dragging things out?

                        I have. But I have also read all of this previous posters threads and her problem is not her lawyer. She freely admits she doesnt believe her lawyer and wants a lifestyle of weekly beauty appointments, several vacations a year, a nanny and ongoing support so she doesnt have to work hard. In addition to the matrimonial home. So no, my original statement stands that she needs to pull her head out of her ass.

                        A lawyer cant take advantage of someone who uses their brain, understands what they are not entitled to and works reasonably. I also have a feeling her lawyer is telling her to quit being an idiot and she comes here to get a second opinion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          I have. But I have also read all of this previous poster�s threads and her problem is not her lawyer. She freely admits she doesn�t believe her lawyer and wants a lifestyle of weekly beauty appointments, several vacations a year, a nanny and ongoing support so she doesn�t have to work hard. In addition to the matrimonial home. So no, my original statement stands that she needs to pull her head out of her ass.

                          A lawyer can�t take advantage of someone who uses their brain, understands what they are not entitled to and works reasonably. I also have a feeling her lawyer is telling her to quit being an idiot and she comes here to get a second opinion.
                          What ever it is you, the lawyer, other people have not gotten through to her yet. She needs a voice of reason she trusts.

                          If she has someone whispering poison in her ears whether it be a friend with experience in a divorce or whoever they should cut them off for a bit.


                          There is a possibility that TrueBlue is trolling everyone here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                            What ever it is you, the lawyer, other people have not gotten through to her yet. She needs a voice of reason she trusts.

                            If she has someone whispering poison in her ears whether it be a friend with experience in a divorce or whoever they should cut them off for a bit.


                            There is a possibility that TrueBlue is trolling everyone here.

                            Shes not. She is a real person who does not get it.

                            One of her earlier threads indicated she had friends telling her she was entitled to more. Some people just dont get it which is why many people here tell her to get real.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                              She�s not. She is a real person who does not get it.

                              One of her earlier threads indicated she had friends telling her she was entitled to more. Some people just don�t get it which is why many people here tell her to get real.
                              I had 2 kids with my ex. We lived a good lifestyle. Standard of living is important to me and my kids. My friends told me I'm entitled to more since there is such an income disparity. My ex doesn't think I deserve to get the increase from his income since separation but that isn't fair to me.

                              Comment

                              Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X