Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignore rockscan. There's no tax slip or anything to declare on non-taxable disability income. It's non-taxable, so nothing shows up on tax returns. However for support purposes only, the non-taxable amounts received will be grossed up to a taxable amount.

Comment

Any opinion...

Depending on the disability income and how the employer pays it out, there may be a need to file a tax return.

OP as I previously told you, you may be too deep in this and your partner needs to deal with his own garbage. It wouldn’t be going this far is his ex had a bit of legs on it. He needs to deal with her himself. You are moral support.
      Last edited by rockscan; 05-17-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I am his moral support..

But this also affects our life together and I like to know whats going on and also like to learn whatever I can

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
          But this also affects our life together and I like to know whats going on and also like to learn whatever I can
          You're doing the right thing by learning, which includes learning which members to ignore.

For the future visitors, remember, garbage in is still garbage out.

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post

Understood but as I learned, getting too deep will impact your mental health. I love my husband dearly and his finances impacted our life together but he also was married to this woman and had a life with her so he had to manage the bullshit.

Your ex had a life with this woman and he does owe her a certain amount as a result. She may be unreasonable but you are not his crutch. There was another poster on here who fell into that and got burned. Keep your head up for yourself too!

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
              It's non-taxable, so nothing shows up on tax returns.
              It depends, if the income is coming from an employer-provided benefit, then it is indeed taxable income.

If the income is coming from an insurance policy that you bought yourself, then it is tax free.

The idea is that you pay tax eventually. Employees do not pay tax for the premiums paid by their employer, which is why employer-funded plans are taxable when/if they pay out. If you purchase a plan yourself though, you are paying in after tax dollars, so they do not tax you again if you are unfortunate enough to need to claim the benefits.

However for support purposes only, the non-taxable amounts received will be grossed up to a taxable amount.
              Yuppers, that is true for any non-taxable income.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                The idea is that you pay tax eventually.
                Sounds good but no. I paid double my income in support for years which always gave CRA a double look.

I'm in receipt of many different incomes (disability, income replacement, pension, annuities, etc). They are all tax free and undeclared. The only tax I pay, and therefore file a tax return for, is CPPD.

Although you and Rockscan say otherwise, the OP is correct in that the "tax free" disability income will be undeclared and therefore they will not benefit from any spousal support tax deductions- which only reduces your taxed income.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                  Understood but as I learned, getting too deep will impact your mental health.
                  Although you and the OP came to ODF for the same reasons, which makes your response interesting, just because you continue to suffer mentally does not mean it'll affect others the same.

Comment

Although you and the OP came to ODF for the same reasons, which makes your response interesting, just because you continue to suffer mentally does not mean it'll affect others the same.

I don’t continue to suffer. I found myself getting in deep during the situation but realized I needed to step back. From OP posts it seems like she lets a lot of what his ex says/does bother her and that he depends on OP a lot more than my husband did me. Sometimes a little reminder goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Although you and Rockscan say otherwise, the OP is correct in that the "tax free" disability income will be undeclared and therefore they will not benefit from any spousal support tax deductions- which only reduces your taxed income.
                      Nothing I said contradicts this statement.

Some disability income is tax free. Some disability income is not tax free. If you have disability income that is of the "tax free" variety, then spousal support will not reduce your taxes, since they are already zero.

Your claim was that disability was non-taxable no matter what. I was just pointing out that the taxation status of disability income depends on the source of the income.

Your disability income may be of the "tax free" variety, but that does not mean that all disability income is like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                        It depends, if the income is coming from an employer-provided benefit, then it is indeed taxable income.
                        False. I receive long term disability from my employer, tax free.

If the income is coming from an insurance policy that you bought yourself, then it is tax free.
                        Agree, it's tax free.

The idea is that you pay tax eventually. Employees do not pay tax for the premiums paid by their employer, which is why employer-funded plans are taxable when/if they pay out.
                        False. My LTD is tax free.

If you purchase a plan yourself though, you are paying in after tax dollars, so they do not tax you again if you are unfortunate enough to need to claim the benefits.
                        I never paid into an employment plan, only CPP, and I'm taxed on that disability amount.

Yuppers, that is true for any non-taxable income.
                        Agreed.

My "claim" was that the OP was correct in her statement, not even question, which created all this. No tax. No tax statement. And therefore, no tax benefits.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X