Shared Parenting and Daycare Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Parenting and Daycare Costs

I have a question about whether the City of Ottawa can charge a person with the daycare costs for the day following an overnight visit. Specifics:

1) There is no court order or signed agreement about when I have actually have access to my son although we are working towards one. The terms of that agreement are currently that I have access to my son every second weekend from 3pm Friday until 9am Monday and every Tues from 3pm to Wed at 9am.

2) My son attends a licensed day care facility in Ottawa that does not offer any sort of part term care

3) My son's mother, we are not married or common law, removed him from his previous daycare and enrolled him in a new one without my consent.

4) She is receiving a full subsidy for her part of the day care costs

It seems that through no involvement on my part that I am now required to pay for something that I do not want, do not need and during a time when I don't even have the option of being with my son.

Any thoughts?

Shared Parenting and Daycare Costs

If she needs day care for work then she can put him in it without your consent and you have to pay your share.

Most daycares do not offer part time or special rates nor do they allow pay as you go. In almost all cases a parent has to pay for care even if they don’t use it to hold the spot.

You will need to pay your share of the expense after the subsidy comes off and the tax deduction.

On the other hand, is your ex does not have a job and has put the child in care for shits and giggles then you can dispute it. Employment includes looking for work but they would have to demonstrate they are actually doing it.

ETA I don’t believe she can claim the subsidy for only herself. The amount has to come off the whole amount.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X