This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support

Hi, new to forum. Just had my first visit with my lawyer yesterday. Overall no surprises except spousal support. I have a few questions for the many who have been through this - I need your advice. My husband doesn't work, layed off 6 yrs ago, was diagnosed with MS about same time. MS is mild, he does many sports (tennis, cross country skiing, biking, golf), works for a neighbor's construction company a few times in summer (under table). Doesn't have disability pension and won't discuss and won't apply. Won't look for a job and won't discuss. He's 55, I'm 48 and working. My lawyer did a quick calculation on gross salary only. Is this suppose to be on gross only? or was this just a general number for the first meeting and expenses come into play during negiotions? Should I panic or calm down as this is just the beginning? Any hints? Advice? Thanks!

mrix,

Generally spousal support is determined on a means and needs basis. Everything swings on the facts. It appears your own lawyer has made a presumption already that the individual will be entitled to such.

Although not law, many cases are making reference to federal spousal support advisory guidlines to determine quantum and duration.

Please see the link, as the information will be most helpful to your situation.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub...idelines_e.pdf

lv

Comment

Thanks for the information. I do want to be fair but also be able to manage on my own as well as support our 21yr University student. Luckily his summer job pays for his education. Thanks for the input.

Comment

mrix,

There is a wealth of information to be found here on your particular issues. A powerful tool to utilize is the search function of the forum.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X