Question - is it finally over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - is it finally over?

According to the final order, child support (all this is through FRO) for my eldest ended a few years ago, spousal support ended a couple of years ago and I've been paying child support for my youngest up to now. My youngest decided not to continue post-secondary education and, according to the final order, that ends child support. I sent the required form to FRO, my ex agreed to facts and the FRO is ending my obligation to send them any money.

Am I done? Is there anything I need to do to "finalize" this so I don't have to be at all concerned that my ex can come back to the courts to try and get something else out if it?

Thanks.

No you are done

HOWEVER

If your youngest decided to go back to school before they turn 22, you may be back in court to pay expenses and cs.

Comment

Originally posted by oswald View Post
      According to the final order, child support (all this is through FRO) for my eldest ended a few years ago, spousal support ended a couple of years ago and I've been paying child support for my youngest up to now. My youngest decided not to continue post-secondary education and, according to the final order, that ends child support. I sent the required form to FRO, my ex agreed to facts and the FRO is ending my obligation to send them any money.

Am I done? Is there anything I need to do to "finalize" this so I don't have to be at all concerned that my ex can come back to the courts to try and get something else out if it?

Thanks.
      I wonder if you would need to do a motion to change CS on consent?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        No you are done

HOWEVER

If your youngest decided to go back to school before they turn 22, you may be back in court to pay expenses and cs.
        Great. How/who would get me back in court? Hypothetical question I hope, if my youngest wants to go back, that's fine with me and I'm happy to contribute, I just don't want to go back in court, deal with FRO etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oswald View Post
          Great. How/who would get me back in court? Hypothetical question I hope, if my youngest wants to go back, that's fine with me and I'm happy to contribute, I just don't want to go back in court, deal with FRO etc., etc.

If you agree to help out I wouldnt expect court required... unless you and your ex disagree on who pays what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Berner is right. If you both agree you just do it on your own. If you dont agree, one of you will need to file a motion.

Comment

OK. Thanks much. :-)

Comment

Ha! Spoke too soon! Figures.

Apparently my ex responded to the FRO that she wasn't agreeing to the end of child support since my child (according to her) intends to return to school in January.

Should I go back to the courts now, or wait to see if my child goes back to school in January? If I go back to the courts, what do I need to do (I'm self-representing)?

Thanks

Comment

Question - is it finally over?

Ask her for proof of registration. If she refuses, file a motion.

You arent obligated to pay cs if kid is over 18 and not in school full time. For the naysayers, the judge at my husbands motiona senior member of the bench who lectures on this topicsaid this.
                  Last edited by rockscan; 10-17-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Can you continue to ask for proof?
                    Child can be registered but not attend ?
                    Iv known kids to register than stop going etc
                    Certainly the law require more than this
                    Transcripts?

Comment

OK. My child is definitely not going back to school in January so I'm going to file the necessary forms which are, I believe, 15 and 15A to end child support.

Do I also need to fill out a financial statement?

Thanks.

Comment

Yay, just about finished

Yay, I believe it is over for us. My spouse’s ex says she doesn’t want the money anymore. That it looks like their child will not be attending post-secondary.

Got the form 15D (Motion to change Child Support on consent) ready to be signed. Got the draft order ready and the paperwork to send to FRO. My husband will be filing on-line, is he missing anything?

FYI-We moved out of area from where the original order was made, will this make a difference.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by frustrated11 View Post
                          Yay, I believe it is over for us. My spouse[emoji769]s ex says she doesn[emoji769]t want the money anymore. That it looks like their child will not be attending post-secondary.

Got the form 15D (Motion to change Child Support on consent) ready to be signed. Got the draft order ready and the paperwork to send to FRO. My husband will be filing on-line, is he missing anything?

FYI-We moved out of area from where the original order was made, will this make a difference.

Thank you

You will need to file the consent morion in the jurisdiction where the file is at.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                            You will need to file the consent morion in the jurisdiction where the file is at.

How do you do that when you are now 4 hours away from that location and you are going to file online? Ensure that the court address in the forms is the address from the original court order?

Comment

Originally posted by frustrated11 View Post
                              How do you do that when you are now 4 hours away from that location and you are going to file online? Ensure that the court address in the forms is the address from the original court order?
                              Just found in the filing documents “If you are asking the court to change a final order, you must go back to the same level of court that made the order. For example, if the Superior Court of Justice made the order, you must go back to a Superior Court of Justice location to change it. You will likely go back to the same court that made the order you are asking to change unless one or both of you has moved to another court jurisdiction”

As long as it is filed in the correct court. Ie Superior Court of Justice, Family Branch then we are good to go

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X