Spousal support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal support

Ex and I have the children 50/50, we have an agreement, we estimated our income that we were expecting to get. I gave the right amount (in fact a little higher) and she under reported by 3k but I don't care.

However, she also inflated the kids section 7 expenses and I have now overpaid her $600 and counting in section 7 in the past few months. I have addressed it with her several times, suggested maybe putting the kids in a summer camp and use that money towards that but no luck. Doesn't want to pay me back and doesn't want to put the kids in any summer activities.

I found out she recently separated from her ex and will be receiving around 30k in lump sum as spousal support. Does that count as income for determining CS? Claiming lump sum is not taxable income and therefore not income?

Just need someone to shed some light on whether it counts as income or not. Thanks!

I would doubt equalization would be considered income. It is essentially money/assets that they already had that is being liquidated for cash.

Regarding the s7 expenses, if the ex has a history of not providing accurate figures, then only reimburse them once they have provided a receipt. Whether or not you can get the $600 back, well, that you may just have to deal with by advising them that any future costs will be deducted from the $600 until it is expended.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      Regarding the s7 expenses, if the ex has a history of not providing accurate figures, then only reimburse them once they have provided a receipt. Whether or not you can get the $600 back, well, that you may just have to deal with by advising them that any future costs will be deducted from the $600 until it is expended.
      Agree on this. You should be telling her up front “In light of the discrepancy in the amount of section 7 expenses claimed versus actual spent, I will no longer be providing an estimated cost going forward. Reimbursement will be provided once I have a final receipt.”

You could also let her know that you will be subtracting the difference in her previous claims from future s7 expenses.

She will probably put up a fuss but ignore her.

Comment

Thank you for the responses, I approached her about her inflating the kids extracurricular costs and have proof of all expenses however, she refused and said you will be paying me a lot more in September because I decided to quit my job and go back to school for two years to be a self employed accountant and I will be seeking full child support as my income will be zero.

Can she do that? Our incomes are pretty much equal, I make 5k more a year and I still have 20k in student loans to pay off. She is quitting a stable job with the school board that has a pension and great benefits to go back to school. She says she has no money but just bought a 4 bedroom house and is going to Spain for two weeks on holidays. I don't think I could afford renting a two bedroom and paying her full child support and daycare and extracurriculars, please help i need some guidance.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X