Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to marital assets if one spouse dies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to marital assets if one spouse dies?

If you are separated with not a single issue resolved with no separation agreement and no settlement agreement does the surving spouse automatically get all the marital assets including those in the other spouse’s name?

It depends on what your will says, and I think there are some things that automatically by law that go to the spouse, like pensions, and maybe matrimonial home. I know divorce nulls a will, but I dont think separation does. I could be wrong about all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
      If you are separated with not a single issue resolved with no separation agreement and no settlement agreement does the surving spouse automatically get all the marital assets including those in the other spouse’s name?
      I think so, unless the person had a will that specified that non-joint items should go to other people. Though you can and should immediately change your beneficiary on any life insurance policy or pension benefit, etc.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X