Joint/personal - Liabilities/assets - Separate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint/personal - Liabilities/assets - Separate

When a couple separates and prior to being divorced, at what point in time do the joint and personal liabilities/assets become separate?
    For example if debt/assets are accumulated after separation is the other party legally entitled or responsible for half of it?
    Or
    If there a joint line of credit secured to the house with credit available can one of the parties deplete it and still only be responsible for half?

^

If you haven't done so already, close all joint accounts PRONTO before the other person does a dirty on you!!! You are entitled to do this and it makes sense...I did just that, and it was a non issue in the end. The only way a person will have a problem with this, is if they had intentions of depleting the account.

Everything becomes "separate" from the established date of separation mutually agreed upon by both parties. E.g. June 23rd 2016 is agreed upon as the day, anything that you get / come into contact with (lottery wins etc) from Tomorrow on is all yours.

Comment

That's what I (we) thought...

We have been separated since April 2013...and due to high conflict nothing has been resolved to date...

My Ex was recently told we are still both responsible for each others debt/assets because we are still not divorced even though we've been separated for over 3 years.

We have both have been diligently paying the interest on our joint line of credits. I did put a freeze on the accounts, but couldn't close them. After this news that my ex received she took it upon herself to unfreeze the L of C and max them out.

Am I f'd yet again...?

Comment

Originally posted by dad1414 View Post
        That's what I (we) thought...

We have been separated since April 2013...and due to high conflict nothing has been resolved to date...

My Ex was recently told we are still both responsible for each others debt/assets because we are still not divorced even though we've been separated for over 3 years.

We have both have been diligently paying the interest on our joint line of credits. I did put a freeze on the accounts, but couldn't close them. After this news that my ex received she took it upon herself to unfreeze the L of C and max them out.

Am I f'd yet again...?
        didn't you do an equalization of assets? As the previous poster said your debts after separation date are your own. Keep track of what she took and if you haven't done the equalization I think you may be able to hold her responsible then for that..not 100% sure.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X