Child tax credit help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child tax credit help

I was wondering regarding this because I do not claim the kids and she will not inform me of how much she is getting. She also indicated to me that she isn't getting it anymore and that is also why she is seeking SS. I don't believe she isn't getting it anymore , everyone is entitled to this credit and as I did not claim the kids she should be getting it based on her income correct?

We did not include this in our agreement it was a verbal for her to claim as it would be more beneficial financialy as she would get more based on incomes

How long have you been separated and spousal support has not been paid? If you have been separated for years and no claim was made for SS and it is now just coming up... The likelihood of any success to obtain it is low to nil.

The other party will have to have DEEP pockets to get SS ordered. As well, depending on the income of the other party they can't get Legal Aid to help as anyone who is actually employed can't get a certificate. As well, they may review the length of time and decline as the success of any order would be low to nil.

Until such time a lawyer forwards an Application with information on a time to attend at a Case Conference I would recommend you ignore the other party in the matter.

Also, get a lawyer for proper legal advice.

Comment

We Separated Sept 2014 , and now she is seeking it

Comment

The old child tax benefit is changing. The UCCB is gone and now there is a new " non taxable" benefit based on income, rent or house taxes paid and if you live in the North your utilities paid.

The total benefits paid include HST, Truillium and the new Child Benefit.

It's non taxable, but if you have an order with shared 50/50 custody you can both apply. I was just reading about it on the Canada Revenue Website. You can also call up CRA and ask them how it works.

Again stop listening to your ex and do your own research. Being informed will be your first line of defence. Knowledge is a great tool.

Comment

Good advice from both Tayken and Beachnana.

I'd use the old saying "sue me" and let it go from there.

Comment

There are online calculators (check CRA website). You need to know net income etc but should be able to look at an estimate. I plugged in my numbers a few weeks ago and it was over by about 10% so it's not exact.

If you have 50/50 (and that would be indicated on your profile on the CRA site) then you may be eligible too. I don't know if CRA splits it if both parents fall within eligible income guidelines...that would make sense but this is CRA. They consider custody as where the child lives, not who has legal decision-making.

If she was eligible for CTB then she would still be eligible for Child Tax Credit - the amount is dependent on income.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X