Victory Lap - only taking two courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory Lap - only taking two courses

I have two children. Daughter is in her last year at University and will be done in May. My son, who lives with his mother, elected to take a January to June victory lap, taking two courses. He has not indicated that he's interested in post-secondary education, and would just like to find work.

My Separation Agreement states that for determination of CS, my obligations end once a child no longer meets the definition of a child under the Divorce Act.

For my daughter, it's clear cut, as she's been a full-time student at University. For my son though, it seems less clear, given his part time attendance, and his inclination to work rather than pursue further education.

I'm of the opinion that my table amounts should be based on my daughter only, though my ex maintains that she's obtained legal counsel and that my son does in fact count.

From what I've read, this is quite a grey area, but I'd still like your thoughts. Do I just wait until June, when he's done and do the recalculations 9per our agreement) when both kids are out of school. Accepting my ex's assertion will cost me ~$1,700 more in payments until that time, and that I had hoped to be able to apply to debt reduction.

Leave it until June. Trying to prove if hes a full time student or not and fighting it will cost you extra money. In July when they're both done school you stop paying.

You should also ask for proof he has been accepted to a post secondary program if your ex attempts to fight it.

Comment

The number of classes is essentially irrelevant, vs how much time he's actually in class. If he's attending on a full time schedule then he's a full time student.

Even though he's 'only' taking two courses, he may well be full time, especially if attending on a compressed schedule.

Personally, I'd be thrilled my kid was in school.

Comment

Personally, I'd let it go. I'm around 325. per kid per month.

So a semester is approx. 4 months for a total 1300 dollars. I would probably let it ride out till July 1.

I guess if it was large amount, I'd be looking at it more closely.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I AM certainly glad he's in school, and am not going to contest this - not worth the hassle and aggravation in dealing with her over this.

Thanks again.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X