car insurance while still cohabing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car insurance while still cohabing

Both of us at the house waiting for it to be ready to be put up for sale. We have a joint car insurance policy. It came to my knowledge that the STBX boyfriend is driving her car when they are out. I don't want to be held liable and damage my insurance rates, if a car insurance claim occur.
    Can I get the STBX out of the policy with out something biting me in the future if the matter goes to court? I sent an email asking for the STBX to get her own insurance.

Have you tried asking your insurer? It's not the first time that they've been in that predicament. If they're good, they would welcome an opportunity to get another customer.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
      If you're still living in the same house, then I believe you would still both have to be on each other's insurance policy regardless.

If ex's name is on the vehicle, I don't think there is anything you can do to control who she let's drive her car.
      It's not necessarily the address it's more about who's name is on the vehicles. If you are both listed on the ownership, it wouldn't be a good idea to remove one vehicle from the insurance policy

Comment

My insurance is the address. If there is another driver living at the address you have to give their info--including their own insurance provider name.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          My insurance is the address. If there is another driver living at the address you have to give their info--including their own insurance provider name.
          I think it would be best to talk directly to your insurance provider because mine is different than rockscan. I lived at my parents address and had a separate insurance policy. My husband and I lived together and had a different insurance policy. We have since merged ours, so it is best to check

Comment

Originally posted by nfc4ever View Post
            Have you tried asking your insurer? It's not the first time that they've been in that predicament. If they're good, they would welcome an opportunity to get another customer.
            Sorry nfc4ever, another customer meaning the STBX boyfriend? STBX claims that he has his own insurance .

Comment

IF you each have a car then she should get her own insurance coverage. Insurance companies go by the number of licensed drivers and look at the corresponding number of vehicles in your household.

Best to check with your insurance agent and do it right.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X