Misc. school fees S7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misc. school fees S7?

so my ex has taken to nickel and diming me for "my share" of the various school fees for our 2 children (activity fees, school agnendas, pizza lunches, milk programs,etc). She feels they are S7 expenses and our agreement says I pay 65% of S7 (I pay offset CS of $11xx currently).

Should I be paying these or does my CS cover them? Obviously it is not the total $ sum involved - it's mostly the obnoxiously phrased demands for $x every couple weeks. Any advice appreciated.

Originally posted by whyme? View Post
    so my ex has taken to nickel and diming me for "my share" of the various school fees for our 2 children (activity fees, school agnendas, pizza lunches, milk programs,etc). She feels they are S7 expenses and our agreement says I pay 65% of S7 (I pay offset CS of $11xx currently)...
    What kind of activities? Are these high-cost, school sports fees? Are these school fields trips, where your child gets to travel to another country, as part of some school program?

If not, none of that is section 7. Child support covers your day to day, school expenses. Milk programs, "school agendas" (what does that cost, like $5?). Your child support covers all of that.

Comment

You pay offset so technically it should be shared. You each pay each other CS which would covet these expenses...for both of you. If you were paying full support then she would pay your 'portion' from that.

Upfront expenses at the beginning of the year ie: pizza, agendas, team registrations, items that span the school year should be shared. Things that come up here and there should be covered by the parent that has the at that time.

None of this is section 7 but it is covered under CS that you BOTH pay and receive, so it should shared.

And Fyi: Dad2BandM.... Our kids school agenda were $25- each. The cost over the first couple of weeks for school activities and fees ran roughly $300-350 per kid to cover the school year. Still not considered s.7.

Both parents receive CS, both should be contributing to the day to day expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
        ...And Fyi: Dad2BandM.... Our kids school agenda were $25- each. The cost over the first couple of weeks for school activities and fees ran roughly $300-350 per kid to cover the school year...
        Your school is ripping off parents, on the cost of agendas. That's ludicrous. Is that a public school?

Comment

No, Catholic school. I don't necessarily agree with the costs, however that's just what they are. And because both parents pay support and it's a day to day expense, both parents should be contributing to the costs.

Comment

My kids are also in the Catholic Board...

So would it be reasonable to suggest that on a monthly basis we total up school "fees" and split them 50/50? Or should it be at 65/35 (what our S7 expenses like hockey,etc are shared at)?

Comment

Originally posted by whyme? View Post
              ...(I pay offset CS of $11xx currently)...
              I had to re-read this. Does the other parent work?

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
              No, Catholic school. I don't necessarily agree with the costs, however that's just what they are. And because both parents pay support and it's a day to day expense, both parents should be contributing to the costs.
              That's weird. Our catholic school, it's $5.

Blink is correct. The costs technically *should* be shared, in offset situation.

Comment

Yeah, I had to re read as well. I'm not sure that implies $1100, hopefully not $11.00!

Comment

the other parent has a minimum income imputed to them - essentially works when she feels like it. but that's another story...

So yes I pay offset of approx. $1175 monthly + 65/35 S7 split.

Comment

Sorry...not quite sure I'm understanding your figures here.

your CS is...?
                    Her CS is...?

You pay her the difference of...?

Comment

I pay her the difference - which is around $1175

Comment

OK so she pays you $...?
                        And your CS payment is....?

And you pay her the difference of $1175.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X