Child support & rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support & rent

S18 needs 2 more credits to graduate. Will be going to adult education centre in September for half day classes. Mom says he has to get a job and start paying $350/month room and board. I realize child support continues while he is still in school but can she collect child support & rent?

Are the classes considered full time school? If not, and the child isn't planning on attending college/university after getting those classes, than c/s should cease.

As for rent, your ex can do in her house as she pleases. I understand that your c/s is to cover the child's living expenses, but the kid needs to learn some responsibility as well. I don't see this as a very bad lesson for your child.

I understand you see this as the ex's attempt to double dip on the kids living expenses, but the kid's 18 and can vote with his feet if he doesn't like it. Your concern will be whether the child is in full time school or not. Because if they aren't, and aren't simply getting the credits to go to college, then c/s stops. My understanding is that 1/2 day school is not full time. It is a half course load, where I believe you need 3/4 course load to be considered a full time student.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X