Full time student vs Co-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time student vs Co-op

My son is now in his final year of post secondary school and he is working full time 9 of the 12 months on a co-op. He will go back to school in Sept 2015 for 3 months and then he will graduate. My order states that child support will end when "The child turns 18 years of age and is no longer attending school on a fill-time basis".

Is he still considered a full time student if he is working 75% of the year?

Thanks Chris

Is he earning enough money through the co-op programme that he could be considered self-supporting (i.e. equivalent to someone employed in that position, or close)? If so, I would guess that he is not considered a full-time student for the 9 months when he is self-supporting (through the co-OP), but he is a full-time student for the months when he's in school, and CS should be paid during his school months. It might be different if the co-op placement were like an internship, where the pay is either very low or nonexistent.

Comment

Co-op pay can vary significantly, depending on functional area. At my former employer we were paying engineering co-ops enough to be self supporting, but the co-ops in head office jobs (HR, Accounting) were pulling in a lot less.

It might also be closer to 8 months working this year and 4 months of school. The academic semester will typically start in Sept and run until exams in Dec.

Comment

His student status is the answer - he is either considered full time or part time by his school. Request proof of this (-t would also state this on his tuition bill).

Comment

It is not black and white - but depends on parents incomes and how much he will be earning and the coop schedule (#months working vs studying).

Go to www.canlii.org and search on "child support" university co-op for some similar cases so you can get a sense of how judges are seeing it, and how the cases are argued.

Comment

Full time status is either there or it isn't. He is most definitely a full time student while on co-op now that I think about it. This is likely the glinch in your order as it provides for while he is a full time student.

Comment

We went through this. We tried to stop CS and didn't succeed. I would recommend you continue paying until he officially graduates.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X