This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible strike action what happens now

Yikes after 20 years at the same job my husband could be facing a possible strike where he works..question is what happens with the c/s he is paying his ex? there has never been a court order for c/s and he is pretty much paying to the guidelines now..he has given her cheques for the first 2 months since he didn't know what may happen..not sure how he can pay support if no money is coming in at all...what can we expect?

Mikesgal,

To me if a strike action occurs would construe to be a material change of circumstance therefore pay what you can afford and perhaps once the strike is over make up the difference.

lv

Comment

if not a court order then would you be forced to pay the back amount?

Comment

Mikesgal,

If the matter is litigated, and a persons income fluctuates from year to year for whatever reason; Often child support is calculated by taking the last 3 years income (line 150) to determine the average income amount to compare against the child support tables.

I would contact the other party and explain the circumstance when it does occur. Get a feel of their stance on the issue and take it from there.

lv

Comment

I see what you are saying, my husband has spoken with her about the chance of a strike and she said they would discuss things if that happened..the only thing we are worried about is the fact you can't believe a word she says..mainly it depends on her mood for the day..my only concern is that if this c/s hasn't been put through the courts at all then would she be entitled to the amount she has been getting if it isn't there to give it to her

Comment

Mikesgal,

If it was me I would take a wait and see approach to first determine if the strike occurs. When and if it does then advise the party. If they demand payment you could always explain your stance. If they insist on payment, then the onus is really on them to bring forth action. It is always better for all concerned if you can come to terms without proceeding with litigation. However, the choice to pursue will be on the other party.

lv

Comment

thanks, the vote takes place on Sunday so keep all fingers and toes crossed that all goes well

Comment

Mikegal,

I have been in that position a few times myself and I have walked the line. Fortunately, the strikes that I was involved with never lasted long. I do admit that I was worried at the time. Hopefully everything will work out and the company and union come to a resolution to the dispute.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X