X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on special expenses for Child Support

Hi,
    My husband and I are separated and we are negotiating how much child support he needs to pay.

1. My child does not go to day care now. I pay my parents to take care of her. Can this payment be a special expense?

2. Can I include expenses that will happen in the future (in half a year, or in several years) (such as day care, college) in the special expenses?

3. I can't foresee how much medical expenses will occur each year. Can I include an estimate in the special expenses? Or shall I ask him for payment when any medical expense does occur?

Thanks a lot. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    Jade

Jade,

welcome to the forum,

As you mentioned:

My husband and I are separated and we are negotiating how much child support he needs to pay.
    Tabled value from the Child Support Guidelines cross referenced against the line 150 amount of the payor's respective previous years income tax return would be the correct amount.

My child does not go to day care now. I pay my parents to take care of her. Can this payment be a special expense?
    Are you parent's declaring this paid amount as income on their income tax and issuing receipts for same? If so, then yes it could be considered a extraordinary expense of the child and therefore cost of such would be shared prorated in respect to each parent's respective salary. However, the tax deduction for such expenses is also shared and additionally, the recent annual Mr. Harper child care grant to parent's would also be used to offset the payable amount by each parent.

2. Can I include expenses that will happen in the future (in half a year, or in several years) (such as day care, college) in the special expenses?
    Generally, extraordinary expenses are divided as they occur or the foreseeable future. ie: in regards to post secondary, there in no guarantee the child will be attending same at this point in time, unless the child has applied and has been accepted.

3. I can't foresee how much medical expenses will occur each year. Can I include an estimate in the special expenses? Or shall I ask him for payment when any medical expense does occur?
    It would be a reasonable expense if either parent has access to an employer sponsored extended health plan to cover prescriptions, dental, eye care and other health benefits. If neither parent has access to such, divide the expense as they occur.

lv

Comment

Thanks a lot, lv. That's really helpful. I had no idea how to proceed with this. I find this forum very helpful.
      Jade

Comment

Jade,

yw.

What I mentioned in regards to child support is a typical situation. For other instances where the child spends more than 40% of their time in a shared custody regime between the parents, then typically child support is calculated by subtracting the tabled amount that each parent would pay the other parent to determine the resulting amount of support.

For child support guidelines and Tables for Ontario

Family Law Act, Ontario REGULATION 391/97, Amended to O. Reg. 102/06

CHILD SUPPORT GUIDELINES

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R...h/970391_e.htm

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X