Case Conference Help with what to say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Conference Help with what to say

Im representing myself in our first case conference brief.
    I will be facing my ex and his lawyer.
    I am intimidated. Correspondence from his lawyer has been very threatening and scary.
    It is with regards to ending spousal support, and not paying two years of retroactive child support. His lawyer is asking for costs as well.

Court order stated undetermined amount of time for spousal. I have already offered to reduce it in a tierd fashion. He does not want to pay any of it.

I have filled out my brief. Im just needing help with what my actions should be once in the room.

Some general information about Case Conferences: How to Prepare for a Case Conference in the Superior Court of Justice | The Law Society of Upper Canada

A lot of the tips about how to behave at a trial apply to the Case Conference as well so you may find some if this useful as well: Representing Yourself at Your Family Law Trial - A Guide | Ontario Court of JusticeOntario Court of Justice

But don't worry, a Case Conference is fairly informal and not a lot gets accomplished in my experience. In my humble opinion It is often sort of a waste of time from the perspective of the parties (nothing gets decided... disclosure gets ordered etc.). However they have to happen I guess...

Comment

By the way you posted this in the financial forum... may not be the best place for it as a conference covers a lot of issues, not just financial.

Comment

My case conference is pertaining to Child Support, Child support arrears, and Spousal support. That is why I posted it in financial. Sorry but I did not not know where else to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by geena View Post
          My case conference is pertaining to Child Support, Child support arrears, and Spousal support. That is why I posted it in financial. Sorry but I did not not know where else to put it.
          "Intimidating" can be subject to interpretation. Just because a lawyer uses legal terms and tries to make you see things froma different perspective, doesn't mean you are being "intimidated"

People that are emotionally driven, fail to see this and just believe what they want to.

- How long were you married?
          - what have you done to find work?
          - spousal support can't go on forever
          - You said this....."I have already offered to reduce it in a tierd fashion. He does not want to pay any of it". Well...put yourself in his shoes, would you sign up for this?

Unless you were married for over 20yrs, someone else can't keep on carrying you. Onus is on you to be self sufficient.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X