This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rights and responsiblilities of parent for a minor

Here is the latest update of my 17 year old stepson, as you may recall or not here are the stats:
    1/ Andrew was living with maternal grandparents from June -05 till April -06..full c/s given to m/grandparents by us

2/ Andrew meets and moves away with 27 year old g/f and her 3 kids (May 06) and drops out of highschool

3/ on again relationship with g/f so when back in parental control support resumes (although never back in highschool)

4/ mother and maternal grandparents move themselves out West to Calgary to start a new life and leave 17 year old Andrew behind since he is again moved back in with g/f and 3 kids

5/ Andrew at this point is unemployed and they are living on assistance of some sort..we are no longer supporting him financially however we gave him a very generous early xmas gift of cash

6/ Andrew calls us in tears last night and said his g/f is finished with him and wants him out of the place they are living in so she can move back home to resume her marriage with the father of the 3 kids..SO...question is....

now that we are the only parents he has in Ontario what are our responsibilities towards Andrew since he has no where to go and his mother and gr/parents are so far away...I should add although very sad but true we do not want Andrew to move in with us for even a day...he has had a run in with some drugs and he smokes and drinks and has no ambition whats so ever., not to mention the terrible temper he has as well..we also have a very small apartment and we feel that if he came to live here our marriage would be in jeopardy..Andrew turns 18 in March

Mikesgal,

That is a difficult situation and hard to give an opinion or advice but can only imagine what I would do if it was my nearly adult child, I would help them but it would be conditional (considering the past behavior) imposed such as

no drugs, no booze, attend school, graduate high school etc. I would lay down the law of the home. If they couldn't follow the rules of the home then "they are on their own."

It does appear like this child is pleading for your assistance.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X