This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another FRO enforcement question

When the judge made an interim order against me for support payments I was unemployed, so it was based on minimum wage.
    I have since found (sporadic) employment through a temporary job placement agency.

Originally posted by Janus View Post
    FRO is an enforcement agency. Their job is to extract court-ordered support from unwilling parties. That is all.
    I just received a letter from FRO informing me that I am now in the program. I'm not an unwilling payer.
    'Til now I have just given the recipient a cheque for the amount of CS ordered on the first of every month.

Originally posted by hadenough View Post

FRO would ........... expect pymt on time and in full as per the terms of the agreement. When that does not occur, arrears start to accrue. Best not to have arrears. Visit their website.
    I guess my question is:

Is it likely that the recipient's lawyer initiated payments through FRO to protect her client in case I didn't get enough work in a month (about 3 days) to cover my CS payment?
    That is, if FRO couldn't take CS from a non existent paycheque, then it would accrue as arrears and the recipient is just "playing it safe"?

There is no conflict (financial or otherwise) between us, so I'm just a little confused as to why now. I will ask her in person, but to be honest, she has little clue as to what's going on as far as our custody, support & access case goes. Every time I ask a question, she says she has to talk to her lawyer first.

It is my understanding (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here), that all court orders for support are filed with FRO or MEP unless requested otherwise in the order.

Once the order has been endorsed (which takes a long time on occasion) it is then filed with FRO who then takes 6-8 weeks to process it.

It may simply be that this timely process has now occurred.

Comment

Thanks OM.

The 6-8 week timeline is just about dead on, so that would explain it.

Comment

Your welcome. FRO does not need to be a negative. It not only provides protection to the recipient but also to the payor.

The recipient cannot deny that any payments were not made. You can request a copy of your regular payments to them for use in court.

They can work out a resonable payment plan with you if you are in arrears.

Now that you have their letter, make sure you pay the FRO as each time while they are involved if you pay her directly it will not be applied towards your payments and if she is honest and tells them you paid her directly it will cost you a $100 each time.

Best of luck.
        Last edited by OhMy; 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Now that you have been officially informed, you pay the ex NOTHING. You wait for FRO to make arrangements with you. (or call them and do so yourself).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X