This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common law, she's left

My partner decided to leave the relationship for another guy. We were living in a new home that I built, and payed for majority of the materials with my own money. The thing is that the land is in here name. The house is in nobodies name because there was no morgage. I have must of the receipts for the building materials in my name. We lived there for 2 years. Can she take half of what there is? Or is this a case of unjust enrichment?
    I live in Newfoundland

You are in a very complicated situation which requires proper legal advice.

Even if you can prove that the majority of the building ownership is yours, the land it is sitting on belongs to her.... and if she owned it prior to when your relationship began, or it was an inheritance... you could really be in a pickle!!

You need to consult a Lawyer asap...

Comment

Could always move the home professionally at cost.

Google

Comment

The land was purchased during our relationship, we just decided to put it in her name

Comment

Right, but you own the house? You can spend many thousands litigating over the issue or spend less by having the house moved to a different piece of property which may also give you leverage with respect to unjust enrichment equalization and settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by bradc View Post
            The land was purchased during our relationship, we just decided to put it in her name
            Who paid for it?

Do you have documentation?

Comment

I may have given her the money but the receipt is in her name

Comment

Have you asked her what she wants to do? What she thinks is fair?

Comment

Can't move the house...but aslo wondered if I have a case of unjust enrichment. I did build the house and increased the value of her property

Comment

She would settle with 20k but that would put me in financial destress. Would rather spend it in court cost then give it o her and the other guy

Comment

So offer her something that you could do and see what she says.

You may end up spending your 20G plus another 20G in court and then giving her 20G and paying her lawyer 20G. You want to take that chance?

I totally understand the feelings that you have but do you think it will make you feel better to fight her?

Comment

Originally posted by bradc View Post
                        I may have given her the money but the receipt is in her name
                        So you "may have" given her the money to purchase the lot... or you actually DID give her the money?

How much is the property and house worth?

If you had the cash to buy both the land and build the house... then would a $20,000 really settlement cause you financial hardship?

You have stated that there is no mortgage... correct?

If so.... rather then spend all of what you do have on legal fees... wouldn't it be more reasonable for you to sell the entire thing and split the proceeds?

$20,000 doesn't seem like a lot of cash to have to pay her..... if you get to keep the house/property.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X