This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement conference completed

Well met with a judge this morning and he asked my ex why 50/50 wouldn't work? Well after her lawyer spoke for a bit, the Judge suggested an Assessment of our children. This is great for the children as then the court will see both Parents and the children with them (I have no fears on what this will find on my side), the problem now is the cost of the assessment! Any ideas??

We paid $10,000 for our Assessment. It all depends on who you decide to hire. You can probably get someone cheaper. You want to make sure it is someone who is well respected and has testified in court before. Looking back, I wish we hadn't wasted that money.

Comment

I'm hoping to speak with her lawyer and see if she really thinks it's worth it, the last 2 judges have leaned the way of 50/50 and spending that kind of money to keep the kids from me doesn't make much sense, but I may have to spend it to prove I'm "worthy" of being a Parent to our children....How freakin' crazy is that?

Comment

The process we went through was incredibly rigorous. Be prepared to defend yourself against any allegations that come your way. It can get really, really nasty. You will have to provide examples/evidence of what role you have been playing in your children's lives up and until now. You will need to defend your parenting skills/style. My children were very young so were never interviewed per se. But a home visit will be made to see what arrangements you have made for the children and how you interact with them. Medical professionals, teachers and others may also be contacted.

To be honest, it will be the most exhausting process you will ever go through. But it is worth it in the end if it means you get to have a relationship with your children.

Comment

Can I ask how old your children were?? Mine are still young too. I've been representing myself throughout the entire process, so I'm getting pretty good at defending myself. I have been in this for the kids since day one so I'm comfortable with what they'll see even if they look really deep. Thanks for the info though, I'd rather be prepared and nervous than not.

Comment

At the time of the Assessment one child was two and half years old and the other was an infant - three months of age.

Comment

When I had my OCL assessment the kids were 5 and 3.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X