This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Law Split - When one partner quits jobs and moves

8 years ago I quit my job to move to be with my common law spouse who got a job 3.5 hours from my home town and kids. He said, at the time, that the house we were both inputting and selecting that he put in his name only was for both of us and for my daughters to have a room to come to. His job he said was the bread winner so, it made more sense for me to move to be with him. I made $40,000 a year he makes $150,000 a year now. I worked while I was there in Real estate and sold new homes for builders. and then for the past year did resale and courses at a nearby university, applied for several day/office admin type jobs and was successful at getting a temp job with federal gov. until end of Sept 09 but recently was extended to Mar 31, 2010. He encouraged me to take and and in fact insisted that I do. He recently came to kingston with a uhaul with all of my belongings from our home where I lived and worked for 7 years and still am working for a real estate broker there and recently still did 3 real estate deals while working my temporary job. He said I was no longer welcome to come back without an invite and that he was breaking up with me and doesn't want to assist me financially in any way. We jointly bought a small house two years ago in our home town as a place to rent part of and come back to on weekend visits to see family etc. which is where I am staying while working. My concern is this...how is this fair!??? He built up his career, his equity, had me to compromise my job opportunities and travel with him for his job and help him get set up and make a home and he just dumps me here and thats it? I am making $19.27 hr in my temporary job and what if it doesn't last and I don't get another job? ? He would not allow me to pay any bills where we lived and set it up that way from the beginning so I would have no claim I guess but he made it sound like he wanted me to have a better life. He supported me in many ways and we had a good lifestyle and I was accustomed to a much better lifestyle. Anyway, I'm having trouble seeing this all clearly as to what I may be infusing my emotion with what I should expect as my rights and my fear and pit in my stomach about how I was so stupid to give up everything and believed in the relationship and that I had some rights. We were like a married couple in every way except financial...he is like a bear over protecting his money and assets but will be generous if it is to his benefit...ie. I'm travelling with him, or he can say he owes me nothing. Any thoughts. I know common law, we've been together 10 years and I lived in his house in our hometown too before I quit my fulltime job of 10 years at a university to move to be with 'the love of my life' and living together since May 2002. I just can't believe he can do this to me and I just have to be fearful and start over at the bottom and feel like my life and lifestyle and home, as I knew it for the past 7-8 years, has been ripped away from me. Any advice would be appreciated. Be honest

NO Responses? Has anyone read this???

Comment

Have you contacted a lawyer yet? Just becasue you weren't married doesn't mean you get nothing, especially if your name was on the mortgage for the home.

A little advice: it's very hard to read a post that isn't in paragraph structure. If you can break up your post so that there are line spacesthen it is much easier to read and respond to.

Comment

my name was not on the mortgage of the home. He was careful to keep everything in his name and pay those bills. He wanted me to pay for groceries and decorating and house things. It doesn't mean I didn't contribute to our life.
        My main concern now is my financial situation and temporary low paying job and staring over with the fear of having not enough income to live on. I still have a job there were he is too and haven't had the opportunity to go and get my things from the house. He says I can't come back unless I'm invited. I spend more time living there than he did. He travels alot and I can't believe my home and rights can be just ripped away like that?

Do I have any recourse for support? Can I go back in to get my things?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X