No announcement yet.

Need help with common-law rights

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help with common-law rights

    Can someone help me with some info on this matter?

    I have been living with a man since June 2001. We were engaged in April 2002. We are both divorced. We have a joint bank account and had intended to build a house. Recently he has asked me that a sign a contract giving up whatever rights I have to his finances. ie. He owns part of a golf course 1/2 to be exact woth about 7 million and has his own business worth maybe 200.000.00. He has told me that I am not titled to anything. Can someone please help me. I feel that he is wanting to end the relationship and that is why he wants me to sign the paper. I need help in a big way!!!

  • #2
    Don't sign anything without proper legal advice.


    • #3
      It appears you are already common law spouses - 3 years of co-habitation.

      As is, if your relationship folded, I suspect you would be entitled to spousal support with the main criteria that you have need and he has means to pay.

      I wouldn't sign anything without having it reviewed by a lawyer such as Jeff to ensure that you understand your rights fully.


      Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.