Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if he would have gotten the same kind of deal had the situation been other way around?

Comment

I am thinking there must be some info missing. Either that or this is just another way the courts screw people (by the way I am a female who has been divorced but did not ask for support. I worked full time, there were no kids, no property and we separated our belongings ourselves. I did not feel right taking money from him even though he made a lot more then me. See guys there are some women out there who are not out to get the guy for everything.)

Comment

I commend any woman who stands up and says I can do this; I can do this without a man. I too left a relationship (of 15+ years) and was actually awarded a large SS agreement without a time limit. But at the end of the day I said, hold on, I'm capable, sure I gave up a lot to raise children, but I loved ever second of it and wouldn't change that for the world. I forfeited the SS so that he could have a better standard of living to be a dad to the children. We're not all bad, we don't all use the law just because its "law" and its there, despite what lawyers say, and despite what judges may or may not ultimately order.

At the end of the day you have to be able to look in the mirror and say, I'm a good person, I did not use someone or a flawed system to get where I am, I did it by myself, I am proud of me. Sure the law may “say” you are entitled, but on the face of it, it appears he was naive with a substandard lawyer, and he probably could have gotten off with nothing if he was better of financially to afford a better lawyer. And just because you had a lawyer tell you how to get SS and how to use the “law” to support the reasoning, does not say much for the morals involved.

Good for you beth15290, for every woman like you there are dozens with morals to stand on her own and do what is right, instead of “allowable”. I agree with “singledad99” & “standing on the side lines”, something is missing, and this may not have been the same had things been switched. Something about this stinks!

Comment

It's time to put this post to bed, we all know what happened here, like it or not.
          There are others that need our support to get through "real" problems and "real" difficulties.

Next?!

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Needs_To_Change
            I commend any woman who stands up and says I can do this; I can do this without a man.
            I agree... however I also commend any woman who stands up and says "I worked very hard supporting him so he could advance his career. I was prepared to stand by him until we were old and gray, and I lost many very important years of my own career and when my marriage fell apart had nothing to show for it. Receiving support from him while I establish my own career is the right thing to do, and I refuse to feel shame or embarassment to do just that."

It's wrong that spousal support has to be fought for and I hope it won't be much longer until there are tables in place just like the child support tables.

At the end of the day you have to be able to look in the mirror and say, I'm a good person, I did not use someone or a flawed system to get where I am, I did it by myself, I am proud of me.
            You bet I do! I look in the mirror and know that the WORK I did during the years we were together were valuable. The biggest flaw in the system is how slow it is.

Spousal support is there for a reason... it's the law and it's time people in general, and this message board especially, gives these women the respect they deserve and not make them feel shame for standing up for what they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by beth15290
              The fact that i am 45 years old also is a big consideration.
              Nice going. Now get a job.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X