This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some answers?

Hi, i have a few concerns. My common law wife left with the children and were trying to work things out but, I'm unsure of her true intensions. I would like to know where I stand. We've been together just over five years,she move into my house and never made any payments towards the house or any of the bills,we kept separate bank accounts.The house would be payed off by now except when we got together I was unaware of her debt and by the way of fraud she ran up her debt on my credit. So I consolidated the debt with the intension that i was going to be payed back "still waiting". Am i stuck with her debt? Even If I can prove she did wrong. Right now she stands debt free with the kids and I have more debt now then I did when I bought the house.

We are still on good terms and she hasn't ask for child support yet because she knows she left me finacial bind. Just wondering where i stand?

Debt due us part

Hi 970, "by the way of fraud she ran up her debt on my credit". If the debt was gained by way of a joint credit card or joint bank credit line then both should share the debt 50/50. Now if you have concrete paper evidence that fraud was clearly done then I guess civil court is an option but I would try to make a deal (via separation agreement document) for no SS in turn you'll eat the debt. A trade off of sorts maybe.

A buddy of mine had a similar situation when his wife left and ran up the CC. He had to eat it.

Comment

one thing is certain, it doesn't make sense to spend thousands litigating over lesser amounts. In a situation like you have before you and as "my rivers" has mentioned already - its better to make a deal.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X