This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assessments - section 30????

Who of you on here have had successful or unsuccessful experience with an section 30 custody and access assessment?

Worth it or not????

Karmaseeker
    I filed a motion to have an assessment completed.
    Motion cost was $3000.
    Ex wife did not want one.
    Judge ordered one.
    I paid another $3500 for the assessment.
    I got my kids a bit more, than before but it was helpful in putting a "template" in place for further discussions with respect to holiday time and more access. When discussions between my ex and I breakdown with respect to us modifying our current agreement, the access report is the "go to" for resolving issues.
    The assessment took about 4 months to complete. 3 meetings with each of us.
    Kids had a meeting with each of us present and two by themselves (aged 9 and 10 at the time)

I would do it again given the option.
    Be prepared to go over every detail of your relationship.
    How you met, where you worked, when you looked after your kids, what sports did they play, who are their friends, what is their favorite toy, book, tv show, video game.
    Who is their Dr / Dentist. When were they there last. What are their medical history etc etc etc.

Why did your relationship end? What is wrong with your ex? What is wrong with you? What are your good traits? Bad traits?
    Do you have a girlfriend / boyfriend? They will be interviewed. Your family might also be interviewed. The kids teacher's and or counsellors if they are seeing one.
    Get the idea?

Very intrusive. Very thorough.

Good luck.

Comment

I don't mind the intrusiveness - I have nothing to hide. This is for my partner and his ex - I am the step mom.

That is a cheaper amount than I have been seeing or quoted. Here it seems to range from 12,000 to 20,000.

Was it a court appointed assessor? or Did you pick them? Was it someone in Cobourg or did they have to come from a distance?

Were they a social worker or a psychologist?

Once you got the report did you settle through mediation, arbitration, parent coordination, settlement conference, or end up in trial?

Sorry for so many questions

and thanks for the input.

Comment

The judge appointed the Kawartha Family Court Services in Peterborough to provide the assessment.
        They could have also gone to Oshawa to another company.
        The assessor had an alphabet after his name....M.S.W., R.S.W., Acc. FM (OAFM)
        I think he had a Master in Social Work (MSW) and the rest I am not sure of.
        The report was ordered and completed just before a Settlement Conference was scheduled.
        The report was presented to the judge as part of the material for the Conference.
        He had reviewed it and had no issue with the recomendations.
        My ex did not like it because it gave me more time and more involvement with our kids.
        The judge "recommended" that we go and discuss the assessment and come to an agreement.
        We went and discussed it for a few hours and I would not budge from the recomendations.
        She really had no choice but to agree with them because I would have filed a motion or presented the assessment at trial and it would have been accepted and she would then have to pay some costs.
        If you don't have a Settlement Conference upcoming, ask for a case conference prior to filing a motion to have the assessment implemented. That should work too.

The assessment is now over a year old and the battle continues. Although I have the kids more, the kids still want more time with me. They are almost 12 and 13. Recently, our judge asked the OCL to get involved. They have now just about finished their report which should again increase the time the kids spend with me.

Comment

Do the kids not get there own say at that stage?

What is your ex's argument against you having fair and equal time with the kids? Is it just a power game?

What are the kids feelings?

Ours are seemingly too young to be heard but there are constant and major issues. I have no doubt that we are following your footsteps.

We have case conference coming up. There seems to be an agreement for an assessment but I want it locked in (as SEEMS means she could change her mind like regular).

OCL rejected involvement with us even after a judge order so good luck. I hear they are mother biased so I would hope the kids ages will force it to go the kids way.

good luck to you in another battle

I seriously just don't get people - your poor kids should be able to be heard without going to court.

Comment

She really did not have an argument.
            She just didn't want to change the access I had.
            Power struggle, yep. Not wanting to have CS cut down, probably closer to the truth.

Our kids want to spend equal time with both of us. They don't want it to be a "week about", but they would like it to be equal. They like spending time with both of us. Right now it is not equal and they know it and they just don't understand why it isn't.

Our daughter (almost 13) gets really pissed off when she wants to see me more often and her mom won't let her. I keep trying to tell my ex that her position and attitude is going to bite her on the ass in another year, if not sooner. Our daughter is just going to come over and not go back. We have joint custody of the kids, so they can soon start making their opinions known with their feet.
            So far the OCL has been pretty good. I think that the ages of our kids might make a difference. As to the OCL being "mother biased" I have not gotten that vibe from them so far. I guess I will have to wait for their report.

If you are willing to pay for the cost of the assessment, then during the case conference ask that it be ordered "on consent". If they won't agree to that, file a motion. There is no down side for a judge to order it if you want it and are willing to pay for it. Then the courts will have a professional, hopefully unbiased opinion as to what is "best for the kids".

Comment

Great. Thanks so much with your input here. It makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X