X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help help help

Here’s the quick story.
    My mother and father were married 18 years. My father worked in a factory for that whole 18 years.
    My mother and Father divorced 7 years ago. At the time of the divorce my father waived his right to my mother’s pension in the separation agreement. There is no mention of my father’s pension in the agreement whatsoever. He did not disclose that he had a company pension. To this day my mother believes he did not have a company pension. (I really do believe he may not have realized he had a company pension, he claimed bankruptsy a few years ago and if he had have known he had the locked account, he would have applied to unlock some of this money under financial hardship)
    5 Years ago my father lost his job at that employer.
    My father remarried 4 years ago.
    This January my father passed away suddenly at 52 years old. Only now have we found out that he did in fact have a company pension, which was transferred to a Locked in Retirement Account 5 years ago when he lost his job. This was also before he remarried.

We only found out because his new wife received this money, purchased a house. We contacted his former employer and spoke with someone who my family new very well, who disclosed he did have a pension, but did not disclose the amount.

My question is, going back to when my parents divorced, had my mom been aware of this pension, she would have applied for it to be split, seeing as she took full responsibility for raising my sister and I, and also did not go after child/spousal support, under the agreemen that all assets be split 50/50.

Can my mom go after the new wife/company that held the LIRA, for 50% which she would have had it been disclosed?

What I also don’t understand is, how did the wife get a lump sum cash payment? Should the money not have been transferred to a lockin registered account in her name?

I am no expert by any means however I would have to think that if your mother did not include it in the seperation agreement that she has no claim to it. I think the courts will rule that it was up to your mother to include the pension in the settlement even though she wasnt aware of it.

As for the lump sum, the company might have had an option to settle for a decreased lump sum amount. I know my own pension policy alots for this option.

Comment

Whether or not it was disclosed is one issue that may allow for the pension to be revisited.

The other concern would be any limitation period in which you mom would have had to make a claim in. If she is outside that period she may be outta luck to make any claim.

I would seek a lawyer.

Comment

hmmm, the problem with there being a time limit is, she only found out about it now, so if there is a limit she would have had no way to do it within the time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by AMNMP View Post
          hmmm, the problem with there being a time limit is, she only found out about it now, so if there is a limit she would have had no way to do it within the time frame.
          She had the right to obtain the information through disclosure at the point of divorce. No offense, but it is no one else's fault but her own for not requesting it then.

Notwithstanding what I said, I think a discussion with a lawyer would clear this up a lot faster then we can here.

Comment

My parents seperated when I was 2 (now 25). My father remarried and had another child. My fathers then wife left him after he lost his job of 33 years and recieved a very large settlement. She took half of that, she took half of the house and all that fun stuff. She had been lying about her income during the marriage by saying that she was not recieving child support from her older childrens dad(found out he never missed a payment and my dad did not know). This happened about 6 years ago. My father fell into deep depression, during this time he tried to change his life insurance policy to take her off, but when the insurance policy was made they used to have a part where you can say that it is irrevocable. I guess she made him click that. When my father passed away almost 2 years ago, my siblings and I had to denounce his estate and give up everything because he was in debt, 2 of my siblings and I went into debt to pay for the funeral because my other siblings could not help at all. She made off like a bandit, she gets $600 a month plus a lump sum of $30 000 and no matter how much we asked she would not even pay for the funeral. Unrelated but related all the same. I doubt there is much you can do, and it may cost your mother more than she will get back just to find out.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X