Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belonging still at my place what to do ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belonging still at my place what to do ?

OKay i started going out with her and she lived out of town i went and saw her every week end for about 6 months. Then she decided she wanted to move in my house. She brought her stuff wich is not allot a bedroom set and a couple things. She lived here for a other 6 months and it did not work out so she moved back to where shes from.

She sais we were common law? we're we?
    And is there anything i can do with her stuff at my place she has no money to come and get it and i dont want to go bring it.
    Thanks

Common law? Not a chance.

Pay to have it delivered back to her. It's a decent thing to do, and your potatoes are very small compared to most of the issues around here, so it will be hard for a lot of folks to engage with you in a back and forth argument about it.

Comment

Yes i know she sais its a year

Comment

Non starter. You only lived together for 6 months. Don't engage with her on it.

Comment

okay well shes telling me its 3 months and arguing about it. And she doesn't want me to touch her stuff

Comment

And she would like you to....clean around it? Store it? Turn it into a shrine to your failed relationship?

If you can't get her stuff to her then give her written notice to have it out of your place by a certain date, then get rid of it if she doesn't.

Comment

For Federal government rules like for pensions it is one year, but that doesn't really mean anything except for filing taxes, there is nothing to go to court over. Meanwhile this does not include dating, it is living together, which you only did for 6 months.

For provincial laws, which govern support, it is three years if you don't have children together.

For property law there is no effect, she has no claim on your property.

So over all she has no claim on you whatsoever. You should bill her for storage of her stuff. You could also send it by Canada Post collect. That should be a hefty postage for a bedroom set.

Comment

I told her i will pack it and bring it to her. She sais she will charge me if i touch her stuff and if there is something missing i will have to pay for it.

Comment

She's whacked. Charge you for touching her stuff?

If she's going to be like that, don't ask, just take it to the nearest public storage facility, pay for a month, advise her of same and tell her she's on her own after that.

I hope you have changed your locks.

Comment

Tell her you'll start charging her storage fees. On your front lawn.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X