X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Showing for a Case Conference

Hi everyone,

Brief backstory: I am 25-years-old, and my mother, after having been separated from my abusive and alcoholic father for six years, filed for divorce. My father roused himself enough to go to a lawyer, make several pages of unsubstantiated (and untrue) claims about my mother, blaming her for his alcoholism, among other things, and since then he has not spoken to his lawyer, provided any evidence he promised to, has cancelled case conferences two or three times, and when my mom's lawyer finally refused to cancel the conference, didn't show up, although his lawyer did.

My question is, if he continues to not show up or do anything, will he actually suffer any repercussions? So far everyone in the courts just seems to shrug, and I'm beyond infuriated. When he didn't show up for the case conference a few months ago, the judge said that he had three weeks from that day to file all the paperwork he needed to, or he'd be held in contempt of court. He did nothing, filed nothing, and the contempt of court has come to...nothing. Is there anything my mom (or her lawyer) can do to change this? Or is this just how it is?

Hi Teagan!

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X