This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending others family court for exxposure to the process

I heard that Family court, like many others are public matter. Therefore, as a member of the public you are allowed to attend, and get a taste of the joy that is about to befall you.

However, when I went there, it was closed for the public. How does that work exactly? is it open or not open for the public?

If not, can we get a record of what happened. A transcript of some kind ?

You probably attended a case or settlement or trial management conference that are held informally and off the continuing record. These appearances are held on a without prejudice basis in order to allow the parties to speak more freely and to identify and narrow the issues.

If it was a motion or a trial, you would have been able to attend.

Comment

I have attended 2 cases conferences and 1 settlement conference both were closed to the public. At the second case conference the judge made all other cases that she would be looking at to leave the courtroom.

The judge makes the decision to let people stay or not.

Comment

Without compelling reasons to limit public access to motions or trials which are formal court proceedings, judges don't at their sheer discretion deny access to the public. That would undermine public confidence in the justice system.

Conferences are typically closed to the public for reasons I mentioned above. They are not formal court proceedings.

Comment

At the case conferneces I had the choice to disallow family. At first I didn't but they were making snide comments so I objected to their prescence for future case conferences.Truth be told, you shouldn't allow family in there. It becomes like a circus act.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X