This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handwritten or computerized record keeping

I've read a few places that you should keep a hand written journal for legal purposes. In this case, for the schedule and any event that happens.

However, for 2009 I printed a calendar and kept our daughter's schedule there. I'd write in every week or so, marking where she slept.

For 2010, I decided to maintain it in Ms Excel. I find it much easier since I almost always have access to it, and I have one shade of yellow for scheduled visits and another shade for when she actually slept at my place.

I don't foresee having any problems in court. Also, I'm close to 60%, with no intentions of going for a ruling that would put me at over 60%. I am basically just doing this to register the status quo, and solidify my argument to remain at 50/50 as far as financials go.

Does anyone have any experience with using computerized journals or record keeping in a custody battle?

We use computerized record keeping... Word calendar templates and Excel spreadsheets.

We've never had a problem.

But then again, we never had to use those records as sole documentation to support our claims. Even though we still filed them with the court, the judge never referred to them. The judge simply asked the other party if our claims were true, and she knew they were true so she responded that they were. Therefore, no proof necessary.

Hopefully your ex won't dispute true facts! :-)

Comment

It might be an unfortunate mistake to decide ahead of time what use you will have for the records you are keeping. You might be wrong, and find that you don't have the types of detail you need. Better to keep records in detail e.g. pickup/drop-off TIMES.

Would suggest computerised records so that you can search later. Each entry should contain, or be tagged with, some keywords or topic for searching.

Handwritten or computerised - both are just your own account, and both can be falsified, so neither is 'proof'.

Comment

Use email. Create an account at hotmail, gmail, etc for JUST that purpose.
        Sent YOURSELF an email outlining the details for that day.

boom, instant time stamp.
        Last edited by NBDad; 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I agree that either a long journal about drop off times would be ideal, and the e-mail would actually work great if I needed all that detail.

We're signing the agreement shortly, so I'm looking for some way to keep track on a long term basis which is hassle free. Just in case I ever need it. I have trouble recording the nights, so if I start collecting all the information, I'll just get frustrated and stop.

In our agreement, we have 50% custody. However, in February, I had her 61% of the nights because my ex called me on a few occasions to take our daughter because she had plans or she was tired.

On top of this, there are days where I took her for a few hours either to go to sports or just to take her to lunch. So, it's impossible to calculate a way that would bring me under 40%, and I don't want to be over 60%.

Comment

I found a little software application called the "Custody Toolbox" by a company called "Five O'Clock Software" Win Custody, Custody Battle, Custody Software, Win Child Custody, Fathers Rights, Mothers Rights, Shared Parenting
            It has been extremely useful for me in my situation for recording all conversations, meetings, phone calls, and just for a daily log.
            It has a calendar function to help record your time with the kids and any upcoming activites etc.
            I think it was only $45 US and it was well worth the money.
            Lots of reports and other things are included.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X