This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frustrated11 View Post
    so if she wants your income, almost like a hardship, then everyone in her house should also be considered. If the judge makes you do this, ask that it be for the 2 households which would include her grandparents
    Most definitely, Frustrated!

If she wants to go after our household income, we'll go after hers! It's not just a one-way street! ;-)

Comment

I've heard that in some cases, when child turn 12. Child can decide which parent he/she wants to be preliminary with. You may consult a free consular in court house to check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by maple_2009 View Post
        I've heard that in some cases, when child turn 12. Child can decide which parent he/she wants to be preliminary with. You may consult a free consular in court house to check this out.
        Thanks Maple, but we still have 5 years until he turns 12. But we will definitely cross that bridge when we get there!

Comment

Originally posted by #1StepMom View Post
          But, according to the Ontario family court, a change in primary custody for the reasons listed above is not in the child's best interest. Go figure!
          Hi, StepMom, this is not to put you down, and I take your side in all this, but the court couldn't possibly make any other decision. It would open the door to constant fighting about "We have a nicer house in a nicer neighbourhood" in every custody case.

The courts would not seize a child from a happily married couple living in a basement apartment with their grandparents and give the child to you for foster care. They have to apply the same standards and rules for everyone.

If you lost own job, and you were both unemployed next year, and had to move, would the child change custody again? and then again the next year? The rules are not perfect, but there has to be some limits in what they can decide is the child's best interest. The courts would turn into a bad version of the CAS if they were making decisions like that. And parents would be demanding decisions like that all the time.

I know you are speaking out of frustration and genuine care for the child, I don't mean this to be overly critical but sometimes we have to step back and realize that it's not just us these decisions are for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
            Hi, StepMom, this is not to put you down, and I take your side in all this, but the court couldn't possibly make any other decision. It would open the door to constant fighting about "We have a nicer house in a nicer neighbourhood" in every custody case.

The courts would not seize a child from a happily married couple living in a basement apartment with their grandparents and give the child to you for foster care. They have to apply the same standards and rules for everyone.

If you lost own job, and you were both unemployed next year, and had to move, would the child change custody again? and then again the next year? The rules are not perfect, but there has to be some limits in what they can decide is the child's best interest. The courts would turn into a bad version of the CAS if they were making decisions like that. And parents would be demanding decisions like that all the time.

I know you are speaking out of frustration and genuine care for the child, I don't mean this to be overly critical but sometimes we have to step back and realize that it's not just us these decisions are for.
            Oh Mess, please don't misunderstand me. My husband and I are not looking to change the primary residence of the child. (Despite many encouraging us to try, because - for the reasons listed previously - they feel the child would be much better off with us.)

We understand the reasons for determining a change of custody.

We also acknowledge that our son is cared for adequately given his mother's circumstances, and that he is in no danger living with her.

I'm just saying that by simply comparing the family/living circumstances of both biological parents, the child would have a very different life living with us than with his mother who, at the age of 30, is living rent-free with her grandparents, with no bills (other than her cell phone) to pay, while working full-time making over $40,000/year and receiving child support, subsidized child care, child tax benefits, and relying on her grandparents to take care of her child.

But, we all know that everyone's life is different, and so we do not hold her situation against her... and that is why we are not bothering with asking the court for a change in primary residence.

The child is loved and cared for well in both homes. He's happy and well adjusted. He is developing well and is in no physical/emotional/psychological danger. So, we are thankful for that! :-)

Comment

Mess, you always seem to be very level-headed an offer some excellent advice on here...kudos to you.

It just amazes me how some people seem to have this sense of financial entitlement when they're receiving child support - trying to get every last cent that they can out of you. If I had a dollar for every time my ex has tried to get an extra 10 or 20 bucks out of me, I'd be...well...I'd still be paying a lot of money in CS every month. I've had to have arguments with her about whether or not shoes are included in my CS money and so on; how people can look in the mirror after picking a fight with you over 20 bucks is beyond me...especially when they're already getting over 700/month as it is. Some people need to accept responsibility for the fact that they're a parent too - just scraping by in life and being reliant on someone else's money to simply get by is not setting a good example for your children.

In my situation, I do look at it from #1StepMom's point of view sometimes too. These courts and lawyers constantly talk about what is in the "best interests" of the child, correct? Would it not be in the childs best interests to be afforded the opportunity to have everything possible and grow up in comfort? My son's primary residence is a messy 750 square foot apartment. He does not have a play room, a backyard or any friends/family nearby...my ex has changed his residence 4 times in the last year and a half. Up until June of this past year, he didn't even have his own room. On top of that, there's a revolving door of people and different guys etc. coming in and out of there.

While I was going through court, I had my living arrangements and their apparent "safety" questioned repeatedly. No joke - I even got court papers where she questioned whether or not he had a crib/bed. This is from someone who was living in her parents home and sharing a bedroom with my son. Meanwhile, my wife and I have a large house in which my son has his own room along with a playroom, backyard with a sandbox and swing set etc. etc. On top of that, he would have the opportunity to grow up with his sister and form a bond/relationship there. She's also run out of things to criticize me about and is now focusing on my wife. She's introduced me to more than one guy in the last little while, yet, wants to make issue of someone that is a part of his life every week?

I also make three times what she does in a year and my job provides all benefits for my son as she doesn't have any. She is fully capable of working at a better job that gives you things like this, but chooses not to. Not that I can really blame her though - the minute she makes more money, it's less that she can take from me for extraordinary expenses etc.

Even though she does it to me all the time, I don't question my ex' commitment to him or her ability to parent. I'm not in any way saying that primary residence should be based on who has the nicer house - money does not in any way equal love for a child. However, if both parties are fit parents and there is a glaring discrepancy between the lifestyles of both parents, what is truly in the "best interests" of the child? In my opinion, it's not spending the majority of his/her time with one parent that views the other one as some sort of babysitter that doubles as a cash machine.

Food for thought.

Comment

My personal feelings would be, I don't mind submitting such information to authorities, but I don't "submit" to my ex. I don't jump to attention when she enters the room and I don't report to her on my activities. She isn't my supervisor, manager, agent, CEO, parole officer or any similar role. That doesn't stop her from trying to act like it.
                This is eeriely familier....

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                But you have to live your life, and you might want to consider strategies for dealing with her behaviour in ways that will not cause you so much day to day grief.
                It's better to go along in order to get along often.

I empathize with so much in this thread.

There's alot of good common-sense advice already here. You just have to put up with it, and hope that time will make it better. Until then, don't make it worse by fighting it bitterly and letting it ruin your day. Bend....

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                  It's better to go along in order to get along often....Bend....
                  Seems great in theory - and sometimes in practice - but if you have to deal with a "recipient" like we deal with, you'll soon realize that if you give an inch, she'll try to take a mile, and if taking a mile doesn't work, she'll take you to court for 10 miles, and the court will side with her because in the past, you had given an inch.

At least this has been our experience.

What the family court has taught us is that if you're not legally obligated to do it, do not do it or else you will become yet another court-ordered obligation.

Sad, but true.

Believe me, we pick our battles, and oftentimes we do give in... but we are very weary of the situations to which we give in, and always examine every possible senario. (As in... "How can this come back to bite us in the you-know-what?")

But, you're right... in order to save your sanity, you must choose your battles wisely. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                    Until then, don't make it worse by fighting it bitterly and letting it ruin your day. Bend....
                    Well, then you bend, and the next day they want you to bend again, and again the next day, and then you're bent right over ready to take it up the .....

Comment

Oh I agree, and unfortunately I must endure that very violation too often, it seems. The point I'm trying to make is that their behaviour is outside your locus of control. I find when I dwell on it, I'm only making things worse for myself. Respond reasonably and take the next appropriate step to the situation. Then don't dwell on it.

Comment

Well, then you bend, and the next day they want you to bend again, and again the next day, and then you're bent right over ready to take it up the .....
                        I think in this case you are exactly right. Reasonable parents will be able to balance things out with one giving in one time, the other the next. But this is not the case. Stepmom and her family are at the bending over point, and the child WILL suffer as well.

I'm glad you guys are standing up to her this time. You are setting a good example for your son.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X