This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial Costs/Fees?

What are trial costs or trial fees? Does the court really expect you to pay to have a trial? What is this all about?

[Another forum member mentioned $15,000-$30,000 in trial fees in the thread "Going to Trial - Advice/Help Needed"]

Any insight?

It depends on how much you are going to dicker over everything. The longer it takes the more you have to pay. It could be anywhere from $5000 to $30 000

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
      It depends on how much you are going to dicker over everything. The longer it takes the more you have to pay. It could be anywhere from $5000 to $30 000
      Let's say... an hour? Any thoughts?

It's only one issue going to trial - child support.

The recipient wants increases with every income increase, but won't allow decreases with income decreases. Unable to afford payments at amounts significantly higher than the table amount for his actual income, the payor falls behind on payments.

The payor wants to abide by the guidelines and follow ONE method of calculating, a method that will take account both income increases and decreases.

It's pretty simple... so it seems.

Comment

One time simple trial like that would not be more than 2-3 G's. I know someone in BC paid $3000 for 6 hours a day.

Comment

this is not the actual motion this is a trial after the motions?

Comment

Frustrated, that is correct. There has already been a case and settlement conference on the issue.

Edward, do both parties pay? Is the trial fee split between both?

I cannot find any information on trial fees anywhere.

Comment

When my husband wanted to go to trial to force an ending to a never ending equalization payment debate his lawyer estimated a day & a half.
              This was just to settle property issues that were NOT complex.
              She wanted $17 000 up front.
              Costs ordered to be sorted after the Judges decision on that.
              This was with a fairly inexpensive lawyer of only $175/hr.

Comment

Sorry. I just wanted to say that the federal government pays Superior Court Judges salaries.
                Last edited by independentgal; 09-27-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by independentgal View Post
                  Mine is an uncontested trial with only me submitting evidence. My case is more complex than most. It is going to be $20,000.00 if it only lasts another half day. I have been in the courtroom for a half day already.

I also have incurred legal fees of over $115,000.00 up to that point.
                  OMG.... That's freakin' INSANE.....
                  I'm going to LAW SCHOOL......

Comment

So are these "fees" solely the costs paid to your lawyer? What if you're self representing? Are there trial fees then too?

Comment

How did the uncontested trial go? I have sought one for my situation and it was granted for next week..what can I expect?

Comment

Usually lawyer charge $2,500 - $5,000 per day (look at your signed contract with lawyer) + time to get ready for trial ( in most cases: 1 trail day= 1 day preparation). Be aware that losing party may be ordered to pay cost (that may include not only trail and preparation it self but some steps during litigation - offers andt etc)

Comment

good question stepmom, any idea. I am representing myself right now

Comment

Originally posted by #1StepMom View Post
                            So are these "fees" solely the costs paid to your lawyer? What if you're self representing? Are there trial fees then too?
                            cost is mainly is lawyers fee. If you self rep you still have cost. Preparing documents (and it's not some change - it can easily total hundreds of dollars), transport, day offs from work and so on so on...

+ you may be ordered to pay cost (other side cost)

Comment

the ex is using legal aid

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X