This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Trial - Help/Advice Needed

It has come to the point of scheduling a trial date.

For those who have, unfortunately, gone down this depressing road, could you please provide some information with regard to this process?

Anything that could give us a heads up would be great.

For example... are there any forms that need filing... how do you make an offer to settle.... etc?

Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

Oh, and any insight about what a trial is like would be great too.

Comment

hiii

Never actually had a trial but was almost on edge of it.And my lawyer told me that it can cost anywhee from $15000-$30,000.Also all the proofs etc are mandatory.Whenever there is a TRIAL YOU HAVE TO PROVE EVERY SINGLE THING YOU SAY.But i am positive your hubby's ex will back off and be reasonable ater knowing that you are serious about a trial.Even if she is on legal aid it will cover only 6000 dollars as trial fees.

Comment

Hi - are you actually starting trial, or is this a date for a case conference? I my own experience, there is a long LONG road between first case conference and start of trial (maybe others have different experience).

Comment

Originally posted by sufferer View Post
          Never actually had a trial but was almost on edge of it.And my lawyer told me that it can cost anywhee from $15000-$30,000.Also all the proofs etc are mandatory.Whenever there is a TRIAL YOU HAVE TO PROVE EVERY SINGLE THING YOU SAY.But i am positive your hubby's ex will back off and be reasonable ater knowing that you are serious about a trial.Even if she is on legal aid it will cover only 6000 dollars as trial fees.
          Wow, $15,000-30,000?!!! Is that just lawyer fees? And what are these trial fees you speak of? I haven't heard of this before. But I'd like to know because I'm sure if we approach my stepson's mom with documentation of the fees involved, she may be more inclined to accept my husbands very generous offer.

Trial Fees?! Yikes! Please share your knowledge about these!

Originally posted by dinkyface
          Hi - are you actually starting trial, or is this a date for a case conference? I my own experience, there is a long LONG road between first case conference and start of trial (maybe others have different experience).
          We have already had a case conference and settlement conference on this issue (ie. child support during unemployment). My stepson's mom is obviously not pleased about the decrease of her precious child support due to my husband's unemployment, and is claiming he is purposely unemployed to avoid paying child support. (Complete crock, but ever since the child was born, she has always been about money... even if her demands are unreasonable and accusations are unsubstantiated.)

We recently received the temporary order from the settlement conference, on which the final point reads: "Set a trial date." So, she has begun the process of setting a trial date.

We do not want to go to trial - especially given the costs involved, as Sufferer indicated in his post - and have provided her with several offers, all of which she had declined.

IF THERE IS INFORMATION OR A DOCUMENT ONLINE DESCRIBING THE COSTS OF A TRIAL IN FAMILY COURT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW... WE CANNOT AFFORD A LAWYER, LET ALONE ANY LEGAL COSTS! Thank you.
          Last edited by #1StepMom; 09-26-2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X