X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did you pay for your lawyer?

I'm just wondering how any of you have payed for your lawyer if
    you are short of cash.
    In my case I'm just getting back to working fulltime-it will likely take a year as I am freelance.
    However I do have half the house as equity.Im wondering if I could use it
    as "lien" towards legal fees?

Are there any other ways.Seems I dont qualify for legal aid.I had a consultation with them and found that out.

thanks

I cashed in most of my retirement savings.. stopped buying clothing and extras for me... and used every dollar I could afford after the kids were taken care of.. My Lawyer and hers have wiped out all of my liquidity, all of my savings, and enough money so far that all three of my kids could have gone to University without ever worrying about student loans.

Comment

epinecone- did you get joint custody in the end?

I dont think my wife realizes yet but we too will both be wiped out if
      we go this route.

i may have to tho - otherwise she may take him back to her country of origin indefinitly.

I may be wrong. but if she got sole custody she might be able to that.

Comment

I did get Equal Shared Parenting / Joint Custody.. But She left the kids with me when she left.. I have a friend going through a divorce, who has been out of the house for 6 months, with his former spouse keeping the kids and now a judge has told him it would be disruptive to move to Joint Custody..

Comment

Originally posted by epinecone View Post
          I did get Equal Shared Parenting / Joint Custody.. But She left the kids with me when she left.. I have a friend going through a divorce, who has been out of the house for 6 months, with his former spouse keeping the kids and now a judge has told him it would be disruptive to move to Joint Custody..

thanks alot..
          ive heard of that: when a spouse moves out from the family home the parent with the kids gets 'defacto' custody(usually the mother tho)...
          and it is harder to trun that around

thats why im still living with spouse & trying to get her to understand
          the importance of joint custody. Not to mention I was the one at home
          with him for the last 8 yrs.

m

Comment

I wish you luck.. The best thing for a child is to see both parents as much as possible. Tell your spouse to forget about money and all the other junk involved in divorce and think about the next 10 years of your childs life.. A child should have both parents in their life as much as possible.

Comment

A lien is just an IOU note secured against your home equity. Probably a lawyer would require actual $$, not an IOU.

Sell assets, remortgage, borrow...

Comment

Originally posted by epinecone View Post
                ...I have a friend going through a divorce, who has been out of the house for 6 months, with his former spouse keeping the kids and now a judge has told him it would be disruptive to move to Joint Custody..
                Separating the children from the father was the original disruption and a much more serious one, so the logic here is to continue that disruption for the rest of the childrens childhood!! - what is wrong with Judges and parents that intentionally keep the other parent from raising their own children - disgusting!

Comment

Credit card cheques, line of credit, loans from anyone who dared, still paying...... once the sale of home any equity to help pay off whatever possible towards the accumulated debt, with a home re mortgaged to the max.

All that just to gain an equal shared parenting role/involvement with my children. Would have been so much less expensive to just give in and pay support, but not good for the children.

I don't regret it one bit, it is worth it to have happy well adjusted children, worth every penny but a shame the law permits this.

Comment

Handsomely!

Comment

I used it all as I am having a very nasty one. And the problem is the pension and the house, even as we are common law, she has used every tricks in the books, even got me arrested on false accusation or charge. So it is gonna be a rought ride

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                        Handsomely!
                        thanks for the laugh...well needed!

Comment

second and third jobs, borrowing from family, cash in all savings...etc. etc. The only way you can fight a lawyer in court is with another lawyer...

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                            A lien is just an IOU note secured against your home equity. Probably a lawyer would require actual $$, not an IOU.

Sell assets, remortgage, borrow...
                            When i went to legal aid the lawyer said that was a way to do it.But maybe she only meant with-in the legal aid/government system.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by today View Post
                              Credit card cheques, line of credit, loans from anyone who dared, still paying...... once the sale of home any equity to help pay off whatever possible towards the accumulated debt, with a home re mortgaged to the max.

All that just to gain an equal shared parenting role/involvement with my children. Would have been so much less expensive to just give in and pay support, but not good for the children.

I don't regret it one bit, it is worth it to have happy well adjusted children, worth every penny but a shame the law permits this.
                              Thats tough man.I've been tempted to walk away.But Im pretty sure she would make access to my son difficult.

thanks for sharing
                              M

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X