Child Support headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arbortrail22 View Post
    potentially if the other party is a "payor" as well- then lawyer fees are tax deductible?
    I believe it's only the fees to get child support and the lawyer sets those out in their bill.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
      You're asking the court system and fro to change their system for you. They don't want to enforce 1 payer let alone 2.

All you need are the details. Applicant pays x based on xx income. Respondent paid y based on yy income.

Then you're allowed to have "offset" or only one party as "payer", etc and still receive cra shared benefits.
      Unfortunately, this is not always the case. CRA often asks for proof of payments made to validate both parents are payors. Which is why it's always recommended to note ' child support for the month of X' in the memo field of cheques or etransfers.

Comment

I believe this is more old school thinking; where people left out the details and only had the final - parent a pays b x amount in offset.

If you also mention that parent b pays a x amount based on xx income, then there's no issue.

No need for parent a to pay 900 and parent b pay 400, just so parent b hopefully gets their 500.

Also, if you're paying through fro, it's a bill payment with no memo - not an etransfer. And who uses cheques anymore!?

Comment

I believe this is more old school thinking; where people left out the details and only had the final - parent a pays b x amount in offset.

If you also mention that parent b pays a x amount based on xx income, then there's no issue.

No need for parent a to pay 900 and parent b pay 400, just so parent b hopefully gets their 500.

Also, if you're paying through fro, it's a bill payment with no memo - not an etransfer. And who uses cheques anymore!?
          I will go with the accounts, lawyers and rulings on this one.
          Each parent must pay the other and be able to show the CRA that the exchange happened.

Comment

I assume that's where you got your other "basic stuff" answered on filing your offers with 6b's...

The devil is in the details.
            In the above example, parent a would pay $500 as a set off amount. They wouldn't show a $900 transfer neither would parent b show $400. However, since it's ordered/shown how/why only $500 is being transferred in the shared situation, CRA would have no issue.

Comment

I assume that's where you got your other "basic stuff" answered on filing your offers with 6b's...

The devil is in the details.
              In the above example, parent a would pay $500 as a set off amount. They wouldn't show a $900 transfer neither would parent b show $400. However, since it's ordered/shown how/why only $500 is being transferred in the shared situation, CRA would have no issue.
              If the CRA denies your claim the first time then you are forever denied and the courts back up that CRA position.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4184196/e...d-benefit-cra/

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/tcc/doc...?resultIndex=1

Are there any details from legislation, Canlii or the CRA rulings that say otherwise?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X