Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affidavit format: Free form vs numbered paragraphs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affidavit format: Free form vs numbered paragraphs?

When creating an affidavit, is it written as an essay, or in numbered paragraphs like a judgement?

My understanding is that there is no specific form, it is just submitted and served on opposing party. Am I correct?

Thanks!

Everything Ive seen from lawyers is numbered sentences that are short and to the point.

Example

1. The applicant and I were married in x and divorced in y.

2. With the assistance of counsel, we reached an agreement in z which is attached as exhibit a.

3. There are 12 children of the marriage: list them and their birth dates.

4. Our agreement stipulated I would pay the applicant $xxxxxxxxx in child support. All payments have been made up to and including date.

Etc….

Comment

You can do whatever you like but all the other affidavits I have seen and how I have been told to write them use numbered paragraphs.

That is what judges are used to seeing and the form will help you ensure that your argument is logical and to the point, allow reference to specific points and help the reader identify the facts. Space is limited, are you pressed for space?

1. My name is Bobby Joe, born February 2, 1990 and I am the Applicant in this proceeding and so have first hand knowledge of the items in the affidavit.

2. The Respondent's name is Mary March, born xxx.....

3. There are 3 children of the marriage....use same form above.

3. Reason you are filing this affidavit, what you are seeking.

4. The points of your argument.

Have it sworn/commissioned
      ,serve it
      ,fill out the 6B bring that to the court with the email you served it with if email. Have the 6B sworn
      ,file the 6B with the materials. If you are doing email print the email you served the documents with. Originals may be preferred to file.
      If you file electronically then you are required to keep your originals.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X