No announcement yet.

Common law and splitting of the House.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common law and splitting of the House.

So the girlfriend and I have split after about 4 years. We have a house together. She doesn't want to sell it, she wants to keep it. Both of our names are on it. I have moved out since. Nothing has been done as of yet. I've asked her to go through the motions in having my name removed from everything. Now I signed a thing from the Realty lawyer that if anything happen, like a split, that I would only receive 1%. Why, because she had a house previously that she sold and used the equity from that house to help purchase this one. My share was basically 1%.

Now with all that said, the house has increased in value significantly and we have done some renos to the house to increase the value as well. Am I entitled to my 1 % and the difference in equity from the original purchase price. So if she has to buy me out, is all she required is to pay me the 1% of what we bought the house for?

I'm looking for any advice or knowledge on what to expect. Thank you very much in advance.

You look at the value of the home at the time of the seperation. Your entitlement remains 1%, including the increase in value.

Comment

So if the house was 700,000 when purchased, but at the time of separation was 850,000 I would receive the 1% from that value? Also we do not have a separation agreement. We just split and she has agreed to have my name removed from the mortgage and said that the bank or realty lawyer will call me with a cheque. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Comment

How much did you put into the renovations? Did you contribute at all to the down payment?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X