No announcement yet.

Not sure what to do...

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not sure what to do...

    I married an American and we have been seperated for over 2 years now and he has moved back to the states...

    Unfortunately, he will call me with blocked numbers but will only tell me to send the divorce papers to his mother's residence.

    What am I supposed to do? I cannot afford the divorce enough as it is and refuse to ruin my credit even more because of him...

    And furthermore, he refuses to give me any money for the divorce and will not respond to my queries in e-mail or says he will never give me a divorce.

    Advice, anyone?

  • #2
    The group will need more history to be able to advise you. Children, financials etc. He can't run home to the States to avoid his responsibilities.



    • #3
      There are no children involved in the relationship. I am not aware if he is working or not. I am not looking for any assistance or money from him, just a signature for a divorce.

      We were only married for about 1 year and 3 months. We have been seperated for 22 months.

      And he doesn't care if we get divorced because he assumes he will never get married again, and he doesn't care about my future.


      • #4
        Are there any matrimonial assets involved (home, cottages, investments, RSP etc)?

        Assuming that there are no assets to divide, I would send him an application for uncontested divorce and see if he signs it. Option 2 would be to file for simple divorce and serve him at his last known address (i.e. his mother's residence). If he does not respond within 30 days, you can file divorce of affidavit and be done with it.

        There are some lawyers who would do the uncontested or simple divorces for less than $1000 for you.


        Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.