X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex wants me to pay for her cancelled trip

Here is the summary of the dispute:

-Last year I agreed to allow the ex to take our son to her home country for two weeks trip and gave her a travel consent. Trip was supposed to be in during March break
    -Subsequent to above, I found out that our son had issues with his mom and the CI from OCL and our son's counsellor both recommended that trip was not a good idea
    -Ex's lawyer was verbally advised that I would not be allowing the trip anymore
    -Two days after such verbal notice, ex's lawyer sent me a letter wanting to confirm
    -A week after such letter, ex purchased the trip tickets
    -A week after that, I sent my written refusal to her lawyer
    -Ex then met with CI was advised that OCL would not recommend the trip also
    -Ex's lawyer sent me a letter demanding reimbursement of the full price of the two ticket. She threatened to bring a motion if I refused.
    -Last week ex sent me an offer to pay only our son's ticket or else a motion will be brought

I have several questions:

1. Is this dispute part of our family law case? I think, her claim has no merit and even if it does, its a matter of small claims court and not of family court. Am I correct?

2. Is it my fault that ex purchased the tickets even after she knew I was not going to allow it?

3. We are waiting for OCL report within next week or so. Ex probably wants to bluff me before the report comes out because the report is going to be so bad for her. I do not have a lawyer and I don't want to hire one especially when OLC report is going to be in my favour. If ex brings a motion for the trip costs, can I go to judge without filing my anwser and ask for adjournment until OCL report is filed?

Thank you for your responses.

Originally posted by singledad99 View Post
    Here is the summary of the dispute:

-Last year I agreed to allow the ex to take our son to her home country for two weeks trip and gave her a travel consent. Trip was supposed to be in during March break
    -Subsequent to above, I found out that our son had issues with his mom and the CI from OCL and our son's counsellor both recommended that trip was not a good idea
    -Ex's lawyer was verbally advised that I would not be allowing the trip anymore
    -Two days after such verbal notice, ex's lawyer sent me a letter wanting to confirm
    -A week after such letter, ex purchased the trip tickets
    -A week after that, I sent my written refusal to her lawyer
    -Ex then met with CI was advised that OCL would not recommend the trip also
    -Ex's lawyer sent me a letter demanding reimbursement of the full price of the two ticket. She threatened to bring a motion if I refused.
    -Last week ex sent me an offer to pay only our son's ticket or else a motion will be brought

I have several questions:

1. Is this dispute part of our family law case? I think, her claim has no merit and even if it does, its a matter of small claims court and not of family court. Am I correct?

2. Is it my fault that ex purchased the tickets even after she knew I was not going to allow it?

3. We are waiting for OCL report within next week or so. Ex probably wants to bluff me before the report comes out because the report is going to be so bad for her. I do not have a lawyer and I don't want to hire one especially when OLC report is going to be in my favour. If ex brings a motion for the trip costs, can I go to judge without filing my anwser and ask for adjournment until OCL report is filed?

Thank you for your responses.
    Get a grip on the issues here. Who cares about the cost of the tickets? You are tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

You're not waiting for the OCL report, you're waiting for the disclosure meeting which will tell you what will be in the OCL's report to the court.

Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help you with what's going to come.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X