This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Spousal Support

Here is my issue in a nutshell. I was in a relationship which ended 3 years ago from which I am the daddy of a beautiful 4 year old girl. The relationship lasted for a total of 2 years. Although contested, we lived in separate principle residence between April of 2003 and July of 2004 save for 4 months in the winter of 2003 that I lived at her place through the week and then at my own house on weekends. Emma was born June 12, 2004 and we moved in together sharing one principle residence July 1, 2004. We lived together until May 29, 2005 when due to irreconcilable differences we went our separate ways. So the actual cohabitation period was a little less than a year by my calculation, but if you take into account 4 months that I lived with her the previous winter, it could be looked at as 1.5 years together cohabitating. At the time of our breakup, she held the same position of employment which she had held prior to our relationship. She was making approximately $28,000 and I was making $33,000 at the time. When we broke up, I continued to pay the mortgage on the house which we owned collectively and promised that upon the sale of my own home, I would pay her $10,800 in a lump sum payment to "walk away." That $10,800 was to buy out her interest in the house which we collectively owned and that if sold at the time would have resulted in an $8000 loss as well as to get her on her feet with new accommodations. As of November 2005, she received the promised $10,800 cheque.

If I am correct, with such a small differential in pay, I would not have been required to pay spousal support as her income would have been very much equalized taking into account the $300 monthly child support payments, increased income tax returns and child tax benefits we received. Is this correct?

Secondly, she has now decided that 3 years later, now that my income has more than doubled, that she wants a piece of the pie and is after me for spousal support. Here is where this case gets interesting. 1 year and 3 months after our breakup, she left her $28,000 job and returned to school. Although she was never a dependent spouse while we were together she is now claiming (3 years later) to be a dependent spouse in need of support. Is there any chance that the courts will buy this? Or will they fault her for leaving her paid position?

If it was me, I would call the bluff and litigate. The claim is not strong, because need is greatest at the ending of the relationship. As demonstrated she survived and lived and supported herself. The choice to further her education after the fact is irrelevant.

Comment

I agree with LV, you have a strong case to show she is self supportive and has done so for 3 years.
      Had she initiated the request for SS at the commencement of the separation then she would have a claim to SS no matter how long it took to "resolve". However, since she has waited longer then one year to "initiate" the request for SS, I feel she no longer is entitled by law.

Even if by some far fetched chance that she can convince a judge to consider the request, she would have to prove that she had need at the time of separation and that "need" continued throughout the 3 years.
      Then she would have to show means on your part.
      You are correct, had she initiated at the commencement, given the relatively equal incomes plus any CS would have shown that you had no means, and she did not have a great enough need.

Again I agree with LV call her bluff, the right to SS is not indefinite.
      She cannot wake up one day and think that "now you earn enough" I'm going to ask for SS. It doesn't work like that. She supported herself for 3 years without SS not to mention she is furthering her education and employability in a greater earning position once she has returns to the work force. So her going back to school is good for you as it further demonstrates her ability to support herself .

Good luck

Comment

I doubt that anyone would rule that you have to pay SS, but if your income has doubled, your CS will probably increase.

Comment

The SS case sounds pretty iffy to me as well.

However, given your increase in salary there may be a case for increased CS. You do not mention your parenting arrangement so I am assuming that she is the custodial parent. Given the salary range you have quoted and using a straight table amount your CS might well be almost double the $300 figure you mention. I am surprised that she has not approached you for that.

Maybe it is also coming?

Comment

Were you and your ex ever married? Or were you living common-law? I believe the amount of time that passes following separation in which someone can apply for SS differs depending on the situation. In the case of common-law (from doing some searches on-line), I think the general period of time is within one year of separation.

Comment

We were living common law. Lived together from December to April 2003 and then again from July 1, 2004 to May 28, 2005, so never spent even a year continuously cohabitating. As soon as I started at my new job I immediately voluntarily raised the child support amount to $500 based upon my expected earnings of $50,000. Now paying $719/mth based upon my current income, once again voluntarily. This brings up another question. Is CS based upon an average of last 3 years incomes, or is it solely based on current income. How does FRO generate the correct figure?

Comment

Fair4All - Can you point me in the direction of anything you found regarding this one year limit? A kind thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. As I am sure you can well imagine, I have been losing a lot of sleep over this and have been stressed considerably. Good weight loss program mind you!

Comment

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f3/advice-3316/

This thread also concerns the time limit to claim SS.
                  I quoted a government site in this one.
                  I cannot seem to find the same site, but I'm sure if you google search the content you'll easily find it too.

Regards

Comment

I had done an Internet search as well and found the Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) site had this: Spousal Support

There are differences between provinces as I found in this document (also from BC): http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/legislation/...efinitions.pdf

Comment

Apparently in Ontario there is no longer a time limit to apply for spousal support as a common-law partner. The time limitation which was formerly 2 years in Ontario was removed in 2004.

Comment

Darn.

Well, you still have the following going for you:
                        1) Your length of time living together was very short;
                        2) your incomes at the time of living together were similar (no disparity during co-habitation); and
                        3) the amount of time since going your own ways and since she's gone back to school.

To prepare for her attempt to make herself out to be deprived of the standard of living she enjoyed while you were together show:
                        - you paid her $10,800 when selling your joint home would have been an $8,000 loss (a $4,000 loss each); therefore, she's ahead by $14,800 already;
                        - how her standard of living has not changed since the split; and
                        - how she's been attending school for almost 2 years, yet she's waited until now to claim spousal support.

Hopefully her program is only 2 years long and will result in her making more income. Hmm... maybe you should wait to see what kind of job she gets following completion of her studies. Maybe she'll make more than you and you can go after her for spousal support.

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no waiting. We are going to court for first appearance on Sept 25, 2008. My reason for initiating this post was to get some sort of consensus as to what I am up against before attending court in order that I may sleep at night. So far the consensus seems to be that I am correct in assuming that due to the short length of the relationship, relative congruence in income levels, her ongoing employment at the time of separation and lack of a detriment to her standard of living as the result of the breakup of the relationship that she could be considered to have been self supporting at the time of our breakup and therefore ineligible for support. What has happened since the breakup in terms of her going back to school and me finding better employment would seem to be irrelevant. Judgment should be handed down based upon the information known at the time of the breakup. At the time of the breakup, it could not be forseen that I would find employment which would double my income.

Comment

The fact that she is upgrading her education increases her employability to a more meaningful position so it has bearing on her request for support and your claim that she is self supportive and able to better her financial situation.

Your increase in income alone is not grounds for her to ask for support.
                            But since she has asked, they will certainly look at your income and your ability to pay if they determine that she is entitled, which I feel is not likely since she went so long without support and has done ok.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X