Court requesting 2 pages brief update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court requesting 2 pages brief update

Parties have had SC but case is still not settled ( all 8 issues remains unsettled).

Judge has now requested for 2 pages update and appearance. What is the best way to put this together? an SC brief form will not work.

Goal is to make a case for the matter to move to trial and prevent OP from causing further delay.

Thank you

Originally posted by uppercanada View Post
    Parties have had SC but case is still not settled ( all 8 issues remains unsettled).

Judge has now requested for 2 pages update and appearance. What is the best way to put this together? an SC brief form will not work.

Goal is to make a case for the matter to move to trial and prevent OP from causing further delay.

Thank you

Did you get any decisions from your previous appearances.

Has the other side provided an offer to settle?

Just put together a 2 page brief synopsis of the case and what issues are outstanding.

I caution you though, if at any time a judge has advised you that you should settle or something is unreasonable, you should be mindful of that as judges tend to know what they are talking about.

Comment

Typically if a Judge is ordering that then:

a. they have the settlement conference briefs from the last court appearance and just want an update on the progress in resolving the case since then; and

b. they believe it is possible to settle the case without a trial and so are devoting additional precious judicial resources to your case to try to accomplish that.
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        Did you get any decisions from your previous appearances.

Has the other side provided an offer to settle?

Just put together a 2 page brief synopsis of the case and what issues are outstanding.

I caution you though, if at any time a judge has advised you that you should settle or something is unreasonable, you should be mindful of that as judges tend to know what they are talking about.
        Thanks Rockscan. Decision is still reserved. OP has not extended a single offer on any of the issues . They have my open and severed offers for more than 5 months but they did not even acknowledge it or do a counter offer. I want to settle but it takes two

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          Typically if a Judge is ordering that then:

a. they have the settlement conference briefs from the last court appearance and just want an update on the progress in resolving the case since then; and

b. they believe it is possible to settle the case without a trial and so are devoting additional precious judicial resources to your case to try to accomplish that.
          Thank you Jeff, yes it is true the Judge had our briefs from the SC.

The problem is nothing has moved since, as the OP never extended an offer nor did they accept any of my severed offers. Yes, court and Judge's time are precious, I just want this to go to trial if nothing is moving.

This 2 page brief, should I just use MS word ? as there is no family law form for such.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X