15 year old came home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 year old came home

A few weeks ago I posted about looking about the process for an urgent motion. In the end, my younger daughter (15) came home. The circumstances were horrible for her.

She essentially ran away. Things at her mom's were worse than I could have imagined. In short, she was at a friend's, her mom showed up intoxicated (having our older daughter -17years - drive her over on a G1. Her mom tried to get her to come home, when our younger refused, mom took her phone and shoes. The friend's mom called during. I could here mom in the background, wasn't pretty.

Police were called, CAS opened a file and verified two 'protection issues' : emotional harm and caregiver with a substance issue (some wording like that). In the end, I don't really care, I have no intention of 'weaponizing' any of it. She'll always be their mom, just needs to work on some stuff.

Older daughter has decided to stay with mom as she has other 'outs'.

Logistical and a distant second thought but needs to be addressed.

Since the beginning of January we've been in a split custody situation. Is there some sort of time which the FRO (or courts) generally want to see pass before amending a child support situation?

I've paid full pin for both girls for January and February but it's not sustainable.

I will ask legal counsel but am hoping to avoid the cost if anyone has any input....

Just wondering how long before we would realistically move to the offset amount.

Thank you.

If kid is going to stay with you and there is an open investigation I would file a motion to change immediately. You could advise FRO as well and see if they will hold the funds during the time the process is happening.

I would also send mom an email first and request that she agree to update child support amounts as kid will be living with you going forward. Advise that should she disagree, you will be requesting a full change in custody as well as costs for the change and interest on the amounts she would owe you for the change. See if that gets her to agree.

If not, you file a motion to change which would be straightforward and you can self rep for.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X