Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child's views and preferences. Siblings. VOC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child's views and preferences. Siblings. VOC.

In the book "Surviving Your Divorce" M. Cochrane writes (p.103-104) :

"..This raises an interesting point where there is more than one child: if one child expresses a strong preference for a particular parent and other child expresses a strong relationship with the sibling, then one child’s views and preferences may end up governing the outcome of the custody arrangement..."

- has anyone came across any case law he is referring to/heard of this?? I was not able to find case law for this.

I have a VOC report where one child is on the fence, the other has an opinion...

Any wisdom and information would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know but I do know:
    The ages and sexes of children are missing.
    Are they average kids or is there a medical issue with one?

Can the reasons for ones strong preference apply to the other child?

Comment

They are average children, 7 and 10.
      Younger is more attached to me, the older didn't want to change schools at the time and hence was so-so...

Comment

Fundamentally, judges are reluctant to split children up. If one child has a strong preference, and the other child is ambivalent to the final parenting schedule, you can either go with the child with a preference (both happy with a primary parent) or go with shared parenting (one child happy, one child not happy). The children's views and preferences are a factor in determining their best interests.

Comment

This helps! Thank you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X